Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, I bought a silverline 4in exhaust system back in December and put it on. First thing I did was take out the muffler. I live in a college trailer park and it wasn't too long before I had the managers telling me I had to put a muffler on my truck and make it legal or leave the park. Well I can't afford to move right now, so I put the muffler back on. My problem is that the silverline muffler is just as quiet as the stock system. You can't even hear it. I loved the sound without the muffler, but it was pretty loud. What is a good muffler that I can get that will have a good sound to it, but still be legal? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Piggybacking on this one...

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
no one can legally tell you to make your vehicle more quiet i had the same problem at a campground i used to go to the owners said my truck was to loud because i am running straight pipe stacks they said i wasn't allowed to bring my truck any more i told them it was officially state inspected which it is and that if they were going to give me any about it i would have my lawyer get involved they shut right the up and havent ever mentioned it again SO OPEN THAT EXHAUST BACK UP!!!

B

·
0 Posts
i have same probs at camp grounds as you can see in my sig i have nothing underneath but it is state inspected so i point to the sticker and tell them where to go unleash that beast if its inspected and point it out to them good luck

·
Registered
167 Posts
check with some of the vendors here, I have heard magnaflow is good. get the round style straight through.

I agree with country above, but if you don't quiet it down they can give you the boot, it's there park and you are renting?

·
Registered
199 Posts
...and it isn't always as simple as telling them where to go. I happen to like my neighbors, and my wife, and have NO desire to be irritating the cops around here.

And depending on your location, there are municipalities with noise ordinances.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i have 5 inch turbo back silverline on mine with the muffler and it is loud, does it make that much of a difference without the muffler?

·
Registered
308 Posts
i got a magnaflow 4" exhaust and i got a 14" muffler an i love it!!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
i have 5 inch turbo back silverline on mine with the muffler and it is loud, does it make that much of a difference without the muffler?
2nd gen vs. 3rd gen......

apples to oranges. Seems the 2nd gen trucks are louder than the 3rd gen trucks. Common rail setup made them alot quieter. Plus what you consider "loud", somebody else doesn't. Example,........I have a 5" straight pipe with a 6" tip on mine, and it's not very loud.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no one can legally tell you to make your vehicle more quiet i had the same problem at a campground i used to go to the owners said my truck was to loud because i am running straight pipe stacks they said i wasn't allowed to bring my truck any more i told them it was officially state inspected which it is and that if they were going to give me any about it i would have my lawyer get involved they shut right the up and havent ever mentioned it again SO OPEN THAT EXHAUST BACK UP!!!
Man I would love to. In Alabama we don't have state inspections and it is illegal to run any vehicle on the road without a muffler. It is also private property and with the contract the can give me the boot if they want to.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have heard magnaflow is good. get the round style straight through.
So the magnaflows sound good? The silverline muffler is the round straight through and it doesn't have any sound.

I agree with country above, but if you don't quiet it down they can give you the boot, it's there park and you are renting?
Yes it is theirs and I am renting so they can do whatever they want.

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
my FarmBoysDiesel 5" exhaust is quiet when putting around but will get loud and the turbo REALLY WHISTLES out the exhaust now...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my FarmBoysDiesel 5" exhaust is quiet when putting around but will get loud and the turbo REALLY WHISTLES out the exhaust now...
Is it a Farmboysdiesel muffler? Maybe I should check with Gus.

·
Banned
2,615 Posts

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
It some states a turbo is considered a muffler deivce...

I've been straight piped now for over 4 years and the local cops and state cops have have said a word about my exhaust or the fact you can hear me a full mile away! :rof

But maybe bacause I've got a red light on top of my truck and it says "Salmon River Rural Fire Department" in the back window... :w:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It some states a turbo is considered a muffler deivce...

I've been straight piped now for over 4 years and the local cops and state cops have have said a word about my exhaust or the fact you can hear me a full mile away! :rof

But maybe bacause I've got a red light on top of my truck and it says "Salmon River Rural Fire Department" in the back window... :w:
:thumbsupYeah that might help a little...I am not really worried about the local cops so much, they don't really care as long as your not doing something crazy, its just that I don't have any legal leg to stand on if they decided to give me the boot.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So far I have heard about the magnaflow and farmboysdiesel. Anybody else know of any other decent sounding mufflers or any opinions about these?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
:thumbsupYeah that might help a little...I am not really worried about the local cops so much, they don't really care as long as your not doing something crazy, its just that I don't have any legal leg to stand on if they decided to give me the boot.
I love working for the fire dept...:rof

1 - 19 of 19 Posts