Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone just removed the muffler and replace it with a straight pipe? What effect does it have on performance and mileage?

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
nothing, dont waste your time lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
both cat and muffler removed on mine love the sound. EGT's dropped a couple hundred degrees. Only had it straight piped for a week though so I couldn't tell ya much about mpg.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Don't listen to the post above. He is comparing apples to oranges. Your 6.7 has no muffler, its just a straight thru resonator that makes no difference in sound or performance on or off.
Been there, done that. Put the stock resonator back on.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Its a muffler, cant not leave a factory with out a muffler, its against the law.

Dont waste your time.

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
strait pipe!!! awsome milage and sound!:thumbsup diesel is all about floooooow:thumbsup

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
strait pipe!!! awsome milage and sound!:thumbsup diesel is all about floooooow:thumbsup
it does not matter on a 6.7 if all you do is remove the muffler. you still have the Cat in the down pipe, then a NOx filter, and then you have the DPF. so whether you pull that little bitty straight through muffler off it will not matter. You need to can the rest of it to make a difference

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Kinda funny watching the 5.9 guys post.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Same reason people that don't live in a certain state post in that states forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys.

Thanks for the info guys. You saved me a few bucks.

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
If I had a 6.7, I'd just do a legal aftermarket exhaust system for a better sound, maybe drop egt's a little and a lil horsepower.. I was told when I was looking at 6.7's that the ONLY thing I could do to it to keep them from voiding my warranty was add a tip .. :thud:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Is removing the DPF illegal in california

:beerI woulkd like to know if any one in Califonia that has removed the DPF has had any promblems with the law and if you get better mpgs on truck:beer

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 6.7 and I have removed it. Like others have said, its a straight through and makes no change in sound or milage. Save your money and waite till they get all the bugs worked out on full upgrades.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
If I had a 6.7, I'd just do a legal aftermarket exhaust system for a better sound, maybe drop egt's a little and a lil horsepower.. I was told when I was looking at 6.7's that the ONLY thing I could do to it to keep them from voiding my warranty was add a tip .. :thud:
There is no "legal" aftermarket exhaust system that will make a bit of difference in sound, EGT's or HP for the 6.7

·
Registered
733 Posts
I went to a custom exhaust shop and removed the muffler from the rear DPF and have a 4" straight pipe back out to the maganaflow bent 4" pipe and it made ZERO difference in sound or EGT's or even MPG's. In short I wasted nearly $500 for nothing. I'd like to get the H&S DPF Delete kit an do it up right, but I only have 18K miles on the truck and need to keep the warranty up on it, plus I dont understand how to install it or all the computer stuff that needs to go with it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I didnt know doing the DPF delete kit voided your warranties would doing this also make you fail your emmissions

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
I didnt know doing the DPF delete kit voided your warranties would doing this also make you fail your emmissions
Definately :thumbsup

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
there is no emission testing for diesels. There has been talk, but that is it.

even if there was, whats a few hours out of a year to change the equipment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they did start emmissions testing, wouldn't it only effect the model year in which it was instated?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts