Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok sold my 24v not to long ago and now looking to buy my friends 96 12v 2wd... Selling my truck was kind of a kick to the balls but was simple economics :doh: in other words I'm getting married.

Back to the the title here: I see alot of threads asking for what types of mods and what type of dyno numbers. I would like to know what type of mods you have and what type of mileage you guys are getting? If I get this truck it will be a commuter driving 60 miles a day for work. Thank you guys you rock :headbang:

new truck will be a auto

·
Registered
251 Posts
4x4 eclb 4.10s, 5 spd, 300 marine injectors, eep cam, stock turbo 16 mpg usually around town. Have gotten as high as 19 on interstate at 65-70. Any faster than that and it drops right back to 16-17.

·
Registered
801 Posts
My daily driver:

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Reg. Cab Longbed, 3.55s, 5 speed, Tight and Tuned AFC, No plate, 3" Straight Pipe, 265/75/16 Michelins.

I do 22mpg mixed city and highway. Ive seen as high as 25mpg straight highway with the cruise set on 63-65mph.

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
My question is do you really need a heavy duty pickup for a commuter?
Seems like you would be money ahead to buy a used compact gasser.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
But wheres the fun in that?:lol4:

normal mileage 70% around town 16-17.5mpg

normal highway 22-26 at 65-70mph

Ive also gotten as low as 13mpg around town but I was driving like I stole it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I currently have one of those and hate every second of it.

so getting mid 20's is realistic

·
Sasquatch
3,694 Posts
Have you looked at a VW diesel? They're capable of making over 250 foot pounds of torque, rev over 6000 rpm and still get 50 mpg with just a remap and different injector nozzles. Down side is they are horrible in the snow and you can't tow much more than 2000 pounds.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I used to use my truck to tow, and why would i spend money on another car? I can put it under my hood. :hehe:

Thats why :headbang:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Have you looked at a VW diesel? They're capable of making over 250 foot pounds of torque, rev over 6000 rpm and still get 50 mpg with just a remap and different injector nozzles. Down side is they are horrible in the snow and you can't tow much more than 2000 pounds.
Ya i tried to talk my mom in to getting one, but they are not cheap.

·
Registered
409 Posts
with the mods in my sig I got almost 21 mpg driving a GPS 65mph for 72 miles. Not bad for a heavy crewcab with 38's!

·
Registered
293 Posts
i drive about 650-700 miles a week this is running about 100 miles city the rest interstate
i have a schied cam, 100hp coal train injectors, 18* timming and other pump work, 4" down pipe 5" exhaust, 3.54 gears manual tranny, and a 62mm turbo

i average 16-18mpg

o and im driving from St. Louis MO to Nashville TN

·
Sasquatch
3,694 Posts
Ya i tried to talk my mom in to getting one, but they are not cheap.
Keep an eye out on the TDI club for sale section, they have some nice deals. Heck, my old TDI is for sale at a dealer in Ohio and they're selling it for around 8k and it has almost an identical setup to the rallyvw race TDI that set the factory car record for the Pikes Peak hill climb.

·
Registered
51 Posts
im getting crapy mpg like 10 ish and have no clue y any ides ?

97 auto 4wd long box extendid cab

·
Registered
409 Posts
What kind of mods do you have Rollincoal?

·
Registered
51 Posts
only stacks and the tst fuel plate

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think injectors would help you out as well as a air intake of some sort. Nice looking truck you have there in your avitar!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My buddy has a 97 3500 extended cab long box, 4x4 4" of lift, 35" BFG's, auto, banks kit (turbo work, intercooler, twin ram intake, exhaust) motor is all stock 250,000 miles on truck he gets 23 usually, when him and i went snowmobiling, hauling a 3 place tailer, 2 sleds.... we got 16 MPG running 80!!! but we drive it sensibaly he gets 19 - 24....

·
Registered
161 Posts
My 95 with the mods listed, I have gotten as high as 27 mpg, empty, cruising at 60 mph. Get around 17 mpg pulling my 8000 # fifth wheel. I have a 04.5 that I like, but not as much as my 95- the thing is hard on fuel- 20 mpg driving it easy. Can't go wrong with a 2nd for fuel economy and simplicity.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
736 Posts
i'm getting 19-25 depending on the weight of my foot. If i drive it easy it rewards me. done alot of mods recently the newness of em aint wore off, so my foot has been a little heavy my mpg has been low lately lol

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I get 20-21 with my latest mods. But then again..... if you seen me drive you'd think a grandma was driving it ??:party018: Im very light on the go pedal, first time my trucks rolled coal in six months was the test drive with the new injectors !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts