Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Exactly one week after I have put on my 5" TBE i decided I should put up some results. My truck stock from around 2,000 miles untill 44,000 miles got right at 15.5 mpg. I will have owned it for exactly one year in two weeks. I drive 122 miles a day just to get to work and back. Roughly 145 miles a day on average with extra driving. I also use my truck for hunting ALOT. I put 3500 miles on her in 10 days on our annual trip to Saskachewan this year.

Most every tank when driving city and highway both were around 15.5 mpg. 12.5 mpg when pulling trailers and 17.5 when taking it easy on a highway only trip. I did not get to take real good readings after each mod so i can not help you that much per mod but I can tell you what I am getting now after all the mods. I put the edge/AX Flash/mp8/tbe/egr delete all on the truck in about a 2-3 week period.

Now with everything I have done to the truck I am going to take it easy for a while now and see my real changes. I filled up for the first time today since the TBE and EGR have been done. I got 17.5 mpg on this tank, hand calculated. This was city and highway (cruise always set at 81 mph) driving. I by no means have taken it easy on this truck in the last week. I have been hot rodding it every time I get into town just because it sounds so fricken good! I have been testing power on the stack and testing mpg changes on the overhead with the changes. My foot was VERY heavy on that last tank. I have hit 100 mph three times early morning on the interstate just because it gets there so fast now. All in all i would do these mods again in a heart beat and also wish I could have done all this RIGHT when i pulled off the lot. I am finally happy with my truck and am getting better mileage than my '01 used to get. I have way more power than my '01. Only thing is that these 6.7's dont have the big rig sound to them like the first and second gen 5.9's do. They have more of a (hate to say it) Dmax sound when you really romp on it.

The truck really really runs and shifts smooth now without that darn hesitation that it used to have. The turbo does not act up now and spools up much faster. Only thing I am lacking is a huge cloud of smoke on command. I had good smoke before the EGR delete but after you get that done you can pretty much say buy buy to most of the smoke.

In the next few months I will report back to this thread and give updates on mpg's when I fill up. I can not wait for the first road trip that is all highway and get above 20.0 mpg hand calculated. THIS IS THE WAY THE TRUCK should RUN!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

All of you guys that hate your truck, hate your mpg, are sick of the issues. I highly recommend doing your homework and letting the aftermarket add on's/deletes help you out. I am 100% happy with my truck again. (now if we could work on fuel prices):rof

P.S. All of my MPG readings will be HAND calculated. Dont believe your overhead. Mine said 22.4 when I filled up today. I believe it gets that high occasionally but not as a average per tank.....YET.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm glad to hear you're getting good fuel economy. Didn't you say the other day that you were having issues with your EGR delete? I had problems with mine and put it back on. If I am mistaken and it wasn't you I apologise. If you had problems with the surging etc. like I had, I wanted to know what you did to fix them. I want my EGR out ASAP!
My sidepipes brought my fuel economy from 12.8 to 14.8 MPG. That isn't hand calculated yet, since I have'nt filled up yet. At least the overhead is going in the right direction. If I can get similar gain from EGR delete, I'll be quite happy.
Garry

·
Registered
419 Posts
glad to hear the good milage reports. i just ordered may of the same things you stated and am looking forward to being able to post my positive numbers.

congrats
J-Mo

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great news!:woot: Look forward to hearing more. Noticed you waited until your warranty was up (I'm guessing). Thats what I am debating about. Practical me says wait, but better mileage and power sure are tempting!:popcorn:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Garry,
Yes that was me with the EGR problem. Since that day the CEL has not cam back on and no surging. I think its only when it gets warm maybe? It was 80 that day and I was doing a lot of city driving when it was doing it. Since then its been 30 degrees in the morning and highs in the 50-60s. Only thing I can think of is temp. We will see when it gets to 100+ ha.

J-Mo you will love how it frees up the motor!

Wildhorse,
I did not wait for my warranty. I was even dumb enough to buy into the extended warranty since it was a new motor and all. I just dont care and after seeing what the EGR is doing to the motor I was worried the warranty would out last the motor lol. Well not now. I am going for longevity, mpg, power, and ease of mind now.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know I need to. Do I just call the dealer and talk to the finance guy and ask for a refund and that I dont want the warranty now?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Yeah I think so. Got your paperwork? I got the maintenance deal (it was cheaper than changing oil myself!) and I remember during that negotiation everything they offered was refundable on a pro-rated basis.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would watch it on the oil thing. I got my first and only oil change I have ever let anyone besides myself do at the dealership. It was the first oil change on my truck I have now and they FORGOT TO PUT OIL IN IT!!! I got a letter stating exactly everything that happened and made the manager sign it. I was so pissed. I will NEVER let another soul ever touch my truck again regarding that kind of stuff. Untill we are using plutonium or something like that for lube I will change the oil till I die.

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I brought my truck in for the emission recall a few months back the guy mentioned that it was about time for an oil change, he gave me a dirty look when I told him it had two already and that I did them myself. If I do it myself I know it was done right, besides, its quicker than driving it to the dealership and cost half as much.

Dieselgoose keep us posted on how your test go, I read your post to my wife as a “See honey, this is why I want to spend all that money on my new truck”.

·
Registered
838 Posts
i'm happy with my mileage. i've done the egr and dpf, freeway at around 80 i'm getting between 16-19 pending on the wyoming wind and weather. when i was home i got as good as 22.5, with a couple of good grades in the mix... most of our speed limits in idaho are 55 where i'm at. these were hand calc.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I did my egr delete last week and am loving it!. I have two milage reports for you guys. I towed my Camaro to the track and home got right at 14mpg. After that i went on a road trip up to a cousins graduation, so it was up into the mountains. Played around a bit rompin on it messin with my cousin in a nissan titan to make the time pass. Then got home, hooked the trailer up and towed it back to where i store it, drove around town, beat up on a late model mustang gt and went and filled up after a few more errands, so about 80% highway, got right at 19!!

I know there are people gettin better but im happy that know after my lift and 37's that its Doing better then it did all stock, espeicially in town.

All hand calced

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
#Filled up on 5/19 and got 15.4 mpg on the tank.#
-Hauled around 25,000 shotgun shells in the bed of the truck for about a day and a half. Im sure that hurt it a lot. Also the same old hot rodding it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
#Filled up on 5/22 and got 19.4 mpg on the tank.#

-Pulled a bass boat for 40 miles on that tank.
-Mostly all highway miles. I kept it down to 75 mph.
-Figured out finally that you need to have your edge on the lowest responsiveness settings to see a gain in mpg out of it.
-Now running with the MP-8 100% and the Edge on level 5. Just have to be careful when getting on it cause I can slip the clutch easy.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
#Filled up on 5/19 and got 15.4 mpg on the tank.#
-Hauled around 25,000 shotgun shells in the bed of the truck for about a day and a half. Im sure that hurt it a lot. Also the same old hot rodding it.
My last tank calculated to just over 15 mpg US. Towing around 5500 lbs. I am happier now that my fuel economy is going up.

Why are you running around with so many shells? Going hunting? Get a good deal on them? lol What does 25,000 shotgun shells look like anyway? A pallet full? Sounds like lots of fun anyway! :thumbsup

G

·
Diesel

I talked to a guy who had a 07.5, exactly like mine in Aurora Back in January. He said he was getting 24 MPG hand calculated. We got into quite a discussion on that one. Said he runs I75 allot. He's claiming bone stock

Are you in the flats like he is?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Diesel

I talked to a guy who had a 07.5, exactly like mine in Aurora Back in January. He said he was getting 24 MPG hand calculated. We got into quite a discussion on that one. Said he runs I75 allot. He's claiming bone stock

Are you in the flats like he is?
Who tows him up the hills after he drives down all those downhill roads :lol3:
Maybe he has the ones I've been searching to drive on that are downhill BOTH ways!!:w:

Sure would be nice though, to get 850 miles per tank!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts