Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

MPG Programmer

1181 12
Hey guys, I just got me a 2006 Mega 5.9l and I was looking at what I can do to help increase the mpg. I was looking at getting a bullydog gt. Would anybody recommend this or have something else in mind? I also plan on putting a CIA on it as well. Thanks for the help!!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
I'd be skeptical of manufacturer's mileage claims, I've kept track of every tank of fuel on a spreadsheet since I bought the truck new and got my best mileage when the truck was 100% stock (other than the 285's I put on right after I bought it).

BTW, welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
124 Posts
You might get a little better mileage but like Fisherguy says you dont always get what they claim you will get but every truck is different it may help or it may not. We put an Edge mileage max on one truck and it gained 1mpg and then we put it on another and it didnt help at all?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read in a few places that bullydog has been known to cause tranny problems? Would anyone happen to know about that?

Thanks for the information guys and I appreciate the welcome. :)

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
ANY programmer that adds any more than about 50 hp will cause tranny problems if your auto is completely stock.

If you add more than 50 HP and drive it hard be prepared to spend big money on your auto, that's why I bought a stick, a clutch is way cheaper than building up a strong auto.

· Registered
1,732 Posts
If you want an extra MPG try getting some 50 horese injectors. I had an edge juice on my old truck and didnt see any gain, but when i put in 125hp injectors i gained 1MPG avg and saw almost 2MPG difference good luck

· Registered
2,797 Posts
my best improvement has been from adding a cai and exhaust & run tires at max psi. Ive been thinking about the smarty jr. driving style is what gives you the best mpg

· Premium Member
124 Posts
A buddy of mine has a smarty jr, intake, and exhaust and he gets about 17mpg and he runs the smarty on 100hp.

· Registered
44 Posts
I would suggest saving your money on a CAI. The stock is good for about 400hp. If you need a little more than you can put attached a 4" tube on the bottom of the box to allow more air flow. I would remove the stock muffler & replace it with a straight pipe or a full flow muffer.

If you're going for 600HP+, you can then think about changing to a 5" exhaust.

· Registered
116 Posts
SMARTY Jr. ~~~~ It will make you LOVE your truck even more....... Performance like it should come from the factory...... With easy on the skinny pedal I think 1-2mpg is possible.... Keeping the smile off your face is a lot harder.....

If you are worried about mpg, buy a prius!!:rof:hehe::rof

I know, I know in todays economy every bit helps...... My other daily driver is a H2 HUMMER 12 in town 14-16 hwy....:thumbsup: But I can drive over the "Liberal Tree Huggers" in either truck I drive:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.