Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been reading the forums quite a bit and haven't posted much. I've been reading about what can increase MPG when towing while still delivering a performance increase. I actually haven't purchased a truck yet, but am considering purchasing within the next few months. I plan on running for a car transport company. Here's what I plan on using...

2008 Dodge MegaCab dually, 6spd manual
50' tri-axle car 3 car hauler (4 with 4" extension ramps)

I will be driving long distances (500+ miles at a time) several times a week. From what I understand, I need to get rid of that damned DPF (pardon my French), have a free-flowing exhaust, and some type of electronic fuel management (MP8, Edge, Bully Dog, etc.).

My question is this... For what I've just described, what would you recommend for me? I was thinking of a 4 or 5" straight-through exhaust with DPF delete and MP-8. If you guys think I need something else, let me know! I'm open to all options!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Towing a 53' trailer your not going to get the best mileage, There are a bunch of guy's here hauling cars. Seems to me most get between 6-10 MPG depending on the roads, wind and weather etc.

Making your new truck more efficient will help, i think the biggest key to mileage is slowing down, with fuel cost I've been running 60 hauling my trailer lately.

I'd watch the emissions stuff, if you get caught with out it, your going to get it, with no vaseline

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can probably get started right away with you towing job, but every small thing that you do will add up to better mileage and safety. You can address intake and exhaust, some gauges or even better yet an Edge w/ Attitude that provides the gauges. To help stop your rig, an exhaust brake, if the truck didn't come with one. Maybe air bags on the rear for suspension support. Also try an additional in bed fuel tank for greater range. Keep a close eye on the transmission, maybe add a larger deep dish pan. I'm not sure about the DPF stuff, my 5.9 didn't come with it.
I understand if you're dead set on a new 08', but what about a 06 or 07.5 that came with the 5.9 engine. The 5.9's are more adaptable to modifications.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I would like a 5.9, but I'm sure you know how hard it is to find a 5.9 with low miles with warranty (just in case somethin messes up).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well if you chip it or do the exhaust on a 6.7 then you void your warranty anyways.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't void the warranty if you put an exhaust on. The 5.9's don't have the DPF. Now if you chip it where it leaves those "fingerprints" in the ECM, then yes, could possibly void your warranty if they can prove (or if you can disprove) that the altered computer tune damaged your vehicle.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Buy a 5.9. I made the mistake of getting a 5.7. Rip off you dpf & egr. add a CAI and guages, aux fuel tank, oil bypass, 2 micron fuel filter setup, rear diff cover with synthetic 145 wgt and your good to go!!!!!!!!! dont plan on getting more then 8-10 mpgs. auto is strong. you might wanna consider it. make sure you change out your ccv 10k earlier the maintaince date. dont buy a b&w. go 5th wheel. ummm, buy a 53 foot trailer with 4 or 5 foot flippers front and rear. NOT a 50. you will kick yourself in the arse for the 50. go make that cash!!! got me a load paying 3.50 going 1000 miles.:beer:beer:beer

This is a the kaufman maxxed out package. 2005 year. that means its only a 50 foot, NOT 53. has homemade extensions on the rear flips.:thumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts