Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see in the MPG calculations, there is litlle change, and you could say its the same. Being honest, the VB6 recall was performed a little after the first calculation, but its close to the date. I keep all fuel reciepts due to the possible CP4.2 failure, only fuel I purchase are with brands credit cards (Shell, Mobil and Chevron). If they claim fuel contamination, I have the receipts, as well as the record with their CC purchase.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As you can see in the MPG calculations, there is litlle change, and you could say its the same. Being honest, the VB6 recall was performed a little after the first calculation, but its close to the date. I keep all fuel reciepts due to the possible CP4.2 failure, only fuel I purchase are with brands credit cards (Shell, Mobil and Chevron). If they claim fuel contamination, I have the receipts, as well as the record with their CC purchase.

View attachment 913044
Yeah, I would argue it is the same

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fuel usage was down ~five percent post VB6 but has since improved. Still calculating but looking like at least three to four percentage points better than pre VB6. Cold engine idle below 10C/50F is rough. Reminds me of a Cummins. 😁 Kinda moot lately, though - been below freezing for the last few days and all she wants to do is fast idle until the engine temp is past 82C/180F. The Aisin's shift characteristics were much improved post VB6 but it's since reverted to its herky-jerky old self. The most annoying aspect of which, is the tendency for the transmission to fall on its face during a 1-2-1 shift. Point in case: sharp incline leaving the ranch onto the main thoroughfare. Aisin has a tendency to short shift to 2nd pulling out and if you let up on the go pedal just a bit (traffic), it'll frequently shift into 'I CAN'T DECIDE WHAT GEAR I WANNA BE IN'! This nonsense can last upwards of two to three seconds, which don't seem like much unless ur trying to get into traffic. I ain't driving the beast any different than I have from the get-go so this has got me a little stumped.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will know soon enough, if the reprograming fixed the bucking issue 2nd to 3rd, when towing heavy, I will be towing heavy finally next week. Burn'n, have you tried to manual shift, locking out 2nd to 6th, keeping it in 1st gear only, while pulling out onto the main thoroughfare? If you haven't tried that, try it with your finger on the paddl;e shifting to 2nd when you want, rather than letting it do it. An old family friend has a 2019 Ford 2500 with the 8 speed trans and he hates it for different issues. I personally experianced it in his truck, when it slipped from 3rd to 4th after rounding a right turn on a green light towing only 4K pounds. What it tells me is, the transmission makers of all transmissions have some learning to do, pertaining to shifting strategies. The 05 Allison was horrible shifting I drove for 30K miles, the 2014 68rfe was even worse with 3:42 rear diff I drove for 30K miles, and now the Aisin I own has quirks in the shifting. However I trust the strength of the Aisin over the four trans I mentioned. If the NV5600 manual transmission was available when I purchased my 2019, thats what I would have purchased with out hesitation, the G56 is another story, I would have opted for the Aisin over the G56. The point is, automatics have a long way to go when behind the mighty Cummins. The early Aisin trans in the C&C with better rear ratio's behind a 305 HP Cummins was the perfect setup.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yep, the tranny shifts fine if I take the reigns with ERS. It's ok when it's loaded too. The recent incident caught me off guard cuz it was shifting quite nicely on its own post VB6. That was back in Jun and almost 5K kms ago. It has progressively been reverting to its pre VB6 shifting behaviour and although I know how to deal with it, I is a little annoyed cuz I had no expectation it was gonna do that. Intel suggests that the improved shifting post VB6 was actually an engine tune included in the update that influenced the Aisin's shift characteristics. I can't confirm that and you'll get crickets from FCA if ya ask em. What ever it was they did has seemingly affected the 'learn' logic of the transmission and not necessarily in a good way. Dunno but somehow I'm back to the OE shift characteristics. Indeed, auto transmissions have come a long way and electronically controlling them has made them even better. However, I'm thinking we'd be better served if they left the AI out of those lines of code.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 3500 had the VB6 and Aisin TSB 21-001-20 updated independantly at the same service. The trans did shift a little better while in "D", the question will be does it buck shifting 2 to 3 heavy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got the VB6 vaccine (documented) but not sure about the Aisin TSB. Wouldn't surprise me, tho cuz I've had PCM/ECM etc updates done on other vehicles with no corresponding documentation. Nevertheless, the Aisin shifts seamlessly when loaded. It's like a whole other animal compared to its unloaded shenanigans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts