Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
I have been playing around with my Edge & MP-8 to see if I can lessen the knock that shows up at low RPM since I did the EGR delete.

Setting the MP-8 at 75% and Edge at level 3 seems to be a good balance but the knock is still very noticeable when first starting up in the morning, and when accelerating from low RPM.

I read through all the posts I could find on the "EGR Delete Knock" and came to the conclusion that it is caused by not enough fuel at low RPM(as dictated by the ECM look-up tables). I don't know if the ECM is retarding the timing or not as part of the process and no one seems to know for sure on the forums.

In Any case, (sorry for the long winded post) with the Edge on level 3 and the MP-8 turned all the way up there is a NOTICEABLE decrease in engine knock. I am thinking about upgrading the tips on my injectors to get more fuel into the cylinder with each event (or better dispersion) to see if there is a further decrease in knock.

I heard rumors that adding an FASS system to the trucks is also helping the knock issue but no one has confirmed it for sure.

Is anyone else playing around with trying to reduce the knock?

Cheers,

Yukon Chris
:peelout

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Well,
I have been playing around with my Edge & MP-8 to see if I can lessen the knock that shows up at low RPM since I did the EGR delete.

Setting the MP-8 at 75% and Edge at level 3 seems to be a good balance but the knock is still very noticeable when first starting up in the morning, and when accelerating from low RPM.

I read through all the posts I could find on the "EGR Delete Knock" and came to the conclusion that it is caused by not enough fuel at low RPM(as dictated by the ECM look-up tables). I don't know if the ECM is retarding the timing or not as part of the process and no one seems to know for sure on the forums.

In Any case, (sorry for the long winded post) with the Edge on level 3 and the MP-8 turned all the way up there is a NOTICEABLE decrease in engine knock. I am thinking about upgrading the tips on my injectors to get more fuel into the cylinder with each event (or better dispersion) to see if there is a further decrease in knock.

I heard rumors that adding an FASS system to the trucks is also helping the knock issue but no one has confirmed it for sure.

Is anyone else playing around with trying to reduce the knock?

Cheers,

Yukon Chris
:peelout

Chris,

What flash do you have?

The AX flash has been determined to remove the knock.

Other people on here have said they have had the same thing happen when they got the AX the knock went away.:thumbsup

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just checked my receipts, I had the AX done in Feb. It was still knockin' after the flash.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts