Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently in process of removing VP the woodruff pin is about at 9:00 trying to atleast get to 11:00, i'v read that turning the alternator nut clockwise works but not this time, any advice please?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
When I changed my Vp I used the fan nut to turn the engine. Get a big enough wrench, I had an old rusted up thing that fit perfect on that nut. That should turn your engine

Reactions: BobTheRepairMan

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Belt spins on the crank... what to do...? Never had this one happen

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Here are some ways.

Use a barring tool (obviously you don't have one or you would not be asking).

Bump the starter repeatedly until it gets where you want it.

Put a torque wrench on one of the crank pulley bolts and turn the engine. Position the handle normal to the edge of the pulley so that the handle is furthest from the center for maximum moment. Don't over torque the bolt and twist it off. The long handle of the torque wrench will give you some mechanical advantage.

Note: The tensioner will only let you turn the engine one way using the alternator nut (Turn the alternator nut anti-clockwise. You wrote clockwise). If that does not work, put a new belt on and try again.

Take the injectors out so there is no compression and turn the crank pulley by hand.

If you had a manual transmission I'd add, put it in high gear, grab a front tire, and roll the truck.

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
I'd just bump the starter a few times. You're bound to get it close and it doesn't have to be pointing exactly straight up. All you want to do is make sure of is that gravity doesn't allow it to fall out while you're pulling the VP out. You sound like you're attentive to the situation too so just take it slooooow and watch whats going on while you're doing it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I push down on the belt while turning the alternator nut.
Turn it the direction that tightens the belt while you push down on it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i tried pulling the belt tight that night but didn't work, ended up having a buddy move the harmonic with his hands while i turned the fan nut and it worked, IP now out sorry i didn't get back to ya guys sooner (Lost login password...)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Glad you got it. :thumbsup:

I've had pretty decent luck with kind of "pumping" the wrench when turning the motor over to help burp the compression slowly, to be able to finish barring it over.
I think next time I see snap-on I'll have to get a barring tool.

·
Registered
21,439 Posts
You should have turned the nut on the old VP to TDC first. It is marked on the gear that drives the VP. Now you can turn the crank with the bolt on the dampener. They you turn the VP to match. The fan has a clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts