Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we are moving from Little Rock Arkansas to Michigan. I got a job in downtown Detroit that I will be at for at least the next 4 years. My wife will be going to grad school for that time. My question is where to live? We are looking at University of Michigan Flint for her. I took this job for her to go back to school so the 1st priority is the biggest.

1) keep wife under a 20min commute

2) have at least a garage with maybe a pole barn

3) 1+acre

I currently commute 1:15-1:30 each way to work. Traffic can get bad but nothing compared to big cities(Miami, Seattle). What am I looking at for commute times with rush hour. Winter? What times are rush hours?

She also has a opportunity to go to school in East Lansing. What would be the scoop on travel to Detroit from out west.

Any input on areas would be great. Resale, schools, crime rates, taxes is helpful also. Thanks in advance!

Bowz

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys, any input would be great. Would be using my 50+mpg TDI as a daily!

Bowz

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've look at all of those places via the internet. What is your opinion on commute to Detroit? Thanks for the reply!!

bowz

·
Registered
919 Posts
There's a bunch of idiots who don't know how to drive. Add snow and ice to the mix and don't go to work that day lol. Traffic is dependent on what time you go to work. When I had to do that commute I noticed 5 mins difference can mean a world of difference with traffic

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on being downtown Detroit before 6am and driving home between 2-3. It can't be worse than when it snows here in Arkansas, I grew up in northern Indiana and people were pretty good, guess they loose common sense in the cites. Thanks for the input

bowz

·
Registered
696 Posts
I plan on being downtown Detroit before 6am and driving home between 2-3. It can't be worse than when it snows here in Arkansas, I grew up in northern Indiana and people were pretty good, guess they loose common sense in the cites. Thanks for the input

bowz
Morning is not bad at that time, leaving work after 3pm it only gets worse from there on the drive home. May want to look at Lake Orion & Oxford areas as well.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do, thanks again for the input!

Bowz

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
It can't be worse than when it snows here in Arkansas, I grew up in northern Indiana and people were pretty good, guess they loose common sense in the cites. Thanks for the input

bowz
you wait until you get here and then make that assumption lol. people never cease to amaze me here when it snows or gets dark or rains or any other combination for that matter lol. i live in auburn hills.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HA, that's funny, I'll keep it in mind when I get there. I swear it has to do with the city. Well did a quick drive up there to check out all the colleges for my wife. Definitely not leaning towards her going to school in flint, We like the Oakland University campus and the surrounding area, which works better for me and my commute to Detroit. Crazy how much you can learn by actually being there vs just research on the internet. So any input on the Oakland University.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd look in Perry Area Also if MSU id Possibility a lot less traffic into detroit this way

1 - 12 of 12 Posts