Cummins Diesel Forum banner

moved plate, won't start

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Dual K20s 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm a newbie idiot that just started tinkering with my 12 valve. Today I got in there and slid my stock fuel plate to the front to see what would happen. I'm probably not supposed to do that but this isn't my daily driver so I figure the best way to learn about something is to just dig in. Anyway I got it all slid up but the truck wouldn't start.... turned over just fine but wouldn't start. I couldn't really tell but everything seemed ok with the fuel shutoff solenoid so I got back in there and moved the plate back just about to where it was before. The first couple of cranks and it wouldn't start, but it fired up after just a bit. Is this something to do with the govenor lever? I know I probably didn't do my homework and rushed into it and this is probably a stupid question. Sorry for those that have explained it before. Thanks

#2 ·
I am assuming you removed the Injection lines when you moved the fuel plate, if so you need to crack a couple injector lines and crank the motor until fuel squirts out.....then it may start and run rough. After you get fuel into the injector lines go ahead and tighten the nut back up on the injector lines and all should be well.

#3 ·
Sliding the stock fuel plate will give you more smoke and a slight gain in power...but I would get guages before you start messin with your truck too much.

#5 ·
I didn't move injector lines

I got gauges on the way, not a daily driver so I won't drive it too much or too hard with questionable mods.

I didn't have a lot of time yesterday when I was working on it cause my wife wanted me home. I'll try again today and not get in a rush. I wasn't sure about the shutoff solenoid... it seemed like that was the problem but it didn't seem like anything was wrong there... I'll have to double check.

Do you need to adjust the gov arm every time you mess with the plate?

I think I need to do more homework on this before I blow something up!

#6 ·
It's the FSS. Sometimes it'll pull all the way up and sometimes it won't. It'll come up a bit everytime, but not all the way????????? Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.