Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide where to mount the 3.5" screen for my backup cam. I have handheld GPS mounted and a PMT yet to mount so the front dash is getting cluttered.

Can anyone think of why I couldn't or shouldn't mount the backup screen above the rear slider in my Quad cab? Of course I have to get power strung back there but any other downside on doing it this way that I am missing? Cam is wireless and I am doing this to make solo trailer hookup easier.

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,246 Posts
i honeslty dont see wht it would hurt anything to mount it up there, but thats just my opinion, but are you hooking up to a gooseneck or bumper?

·
Registered
335 Posts
You don't address whether you have a 5er or a bumper pull. I don't see a whole lot of benefit in having a backup camera for a 5th wheel. I can use the rear view mirror. If you need/want help with a bumper pull you will have almost the same view as your rear view mirror so I don't see the benefit of that mounting place.

IMHO

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah sorry... it is a bumper hitch.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a boat and jetskis and when I launch the jetskis I have to let down the tailgate so I can see to back the trailer. Don't suppose that should be a problem but I can move the cam around easy because it is wireless.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the OEM cameras I have seen mount somehwere on or near the rear bumper
I am talking about the viewer mounting above the slider inside the cab and not the cam, thanks for responding.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Now when I was thinking about the Edge AS2 setup they talk about the cam being wireless AND magnet mounted so you could move the mount of the camera to watch your load or to the back or your trailer etc.

I can't imagine doing that but I suppose looking over your shoulder to watch the tailgater would not be a good idea!

·
Registered
335 Posts
So you are considering mounting the viewing screen at the rear of the cab above the rear sliding window or above the switch that operates the electric slider?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure if anyone rides back there but it could be a head knocker.
I thought about mounting one in the drivers visor depending on the weight, size etc.. Plenty of room to fish power and video feed if you needed it through the A pillar. If a guy was good with upholstery that might be an option too.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you are considering mounting the viewing screen at the rear of the cab above the rear sliding window or above the switch that operates the electric slider?
I was thinking above the rear slider itself because you would be turned around to back up anyway right?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was trying to work that out in my mind too, on the other hand, all the new vehicles that I have seen with backup cameras installed use the integrated GPS/Radio screen which is a forward facing view. So I guess it would be personal preference.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did not order the nav because I have the top of the line Garmin portable with the maps for boating etc. so I figured use it in the pickup too.

Also thought about the AS2 deal from Edge which is pretty sweet all-in-one deal but with the Juice/attitude/camera and AS2 it comes in close the $2k. I went with BullyDog PMT at $940 and $60 BU cam package from Costco and took the other $1000 and put it into BADP exhaust.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think above the slider is a smart place to put it because you are looking back anyway .heck i would be afraid to be backing up and looking forward .

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
The best place is to mount it on top of the license plate and steel power from the harness for your trailer hook up so as soon as you put it in reverse you will get power to your camera

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not to be a jerk but you do know you have three times the view by looking in your mirrors,if you turn around to lookout the back window all you see is the back and right side,not the front.Watched a guy backing up his trailer by looking out the back window crush his front fender into a tree, sorry man but thats why we have them learn to use them and back up safely.As for the wireless cam I have one,most of the time its useless because of the rf that my 6.7 puts out interfears with it.Called the manufacture,it was them that told me of the rf problem with the 6.7 ctd.Again not trying to be a jerk.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't trurn around to back up or hitch up. I don't have a camera. The only backup camera I've used was on a friends motorhome the inside rear view mirror was not existatant. His viewer was on the dash. I can't imagine having to turn around to see my b/u camera viewer. I would recomend learning to use the mirrors for backing and manouvering and put the camaera viewer somewhere you can see it comfortably. Putting it above the rear slider? In my mega cab that's a long way back to see a 3.5 inch screen with any detail.

Most back up cameras also reverse the picture so the right side of the screen is the right side of the truck. If you put it on the back of the cab facing the front of the truck and it's a true back up camera you will get a reversed picture. Make sure you can oreint the view properly.

This is some concerns I have for you but ultimately you do what works for you.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I don't trurn around to back up or hitch up. I don't have a camera. The only backup camera I've used was on a friends motorhome the inside rear view mirror was not existatant. His viewer was on the dash. I can't imagine having to turn around to see my b/u camera viewer. I would recomend learning to use the mirrors for backing and manouvering and put the camaera viewer somewhere you can see it comfortably. Putting it above the rear slider? In my mega cab that's a long way back to see a 3.5 inch screen with any detail.

Most back up cameras also reverse the picture so the right side of the screen is the right side of the truck. If you put it on the back of the cab facing the front of the truck and it's a true back up camera you will get a reversed picture. Make sure you can oreint the view properly.

This is some concerns I have for you but ultimately you do what works for you.

I would agree with the above. In my mega the back of the cab is in the next zipcode. I can't imagine looking at something back there.

BUT. I got a backup camera from Costco (about $60 I believe and it was in stock in the warehouse). It is also wireless and has a button the screen to allow you to change the orientation (upside down, mirrored, non-mirrored, and combinations). It also has a long antenna from the camera that I was able to orient under the bed and have little interference issues. I have it wired to the backup lights so the camera only turns on in reverse...but the screen is always on but black until the camera comes on. Sometimes as I drive I'll see images of local security cameras which I find entertaining.

I don't find the backup camera of much value though because I can't tell depth...using it for parallel parking is no good. But I could see if there was a kid on a skateboard back there. It might also help with aligning while hitching up but I haven't had the opportunity to test that yet.

For mounting I came up with the following: the unit came with two mounts both of which the screen attaches to with a ball and socket system. I cut the ball off one of the mounts and drilled through the ball and ran a screw longitudinally out the back and into my dash (right at the top lip above my vent). If I remove it it will just leave a small hole in the dash.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would agree with the above. In my mega the back of the cab is in the next zipcode. I can't imagine looking at something back there.

BUT. I got a backup camera from Costco (about $60 I believe and it was in stock in the warehouse). It is also wireless and has a button the screen to allow you to change the orientation (upside down, mirrored, non-mirrored, and combinations). It also has a long antenna from the camera that I was able to orient under the bed and have little interference issues. I have it wired to the backup lights so the camera only turns on in reverse...but the screen is always on but black until the camera comes on. Sometimes as I drive I'll see images of local security cameras which I find entertaining.

I don't find the backup camera of much value though because I can't tell depth...using it for parallel parking is no good. But I could see if there was a kid on a skateboard back there. It might also help with aligning while hitching up but I haven't had the opportunity to test that yet.

For mounting I came up with the following: the unit came with two mounts both of which the screen attaches to with a ball and socket system. I cut the ball off one of the mounts and drilled through the ball and ran a screw longitudinally out the back and into my dash (right at the top lip above my vent). If I remove it it will just leave a small hole in the dash.
First thank you everyone for the help.

dapayne and rxr,

As soon as you started pointing out backing with the mirrors I knew you were both correct. I even laughed at myself because this has been pointed out to me by my pro driving friends more than once and each time I conceded the point. Old car driving habits die hard I guess. I do like to putting down my tailgate to back the dual jetski trailer down a boat ramp though.

pjesson,

You have the exact same unit I am working with and I thank you very much for your post. I will most likely recreate your setup and use my mirrors.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Decided to mount the screen over on the passenger side dash with a swivel mount pointing the screen at the driver. I does not look to bad however I discovered that the passenger side 12v acc. outlet is switched with the key but does not stay on until you open the door like the cigarette lighter. No big deal for my application but someone may want to know this.

Here is another thing that someone may find useful. I was mounting the backup cam that member pjesson and I both found at Costco. As pjesson mentioned the camera with this unit does not have a very wide field of view and I want the cam to help line up my bumper/receiver hitch with my trailers primarily and avoiding backing into things would just be a bonus. Well when I got ready to test I found out that the installation directions suggested back of license plate mounting might help you with not running over things, but you are not going to be able to see your hitch ball at all. So instead I decided to mount the camera up on the tailgate release latch. With this vantage point for the camera, the ball is now visible in the very bottom center of the viewing screen in the cab which is perfect for what I want it to do. Of course to do this I had to drill three holes in the plastic release latch but it is pretty solid and there plenty of room for operating the latch. All you need to do this is a drill and two appropriate screws for the mounting. I also took some black plastic stock and cut a little piece and glued it to the cam so the aim of the cam is locked into place and it looks better. One more thing I need to do is buy a waterproof quick disconnect so the tailgate can be removed.

If anyone is interested I will post pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts