Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
9221 - 9240 of 10426 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,221 ·
Kinda' resembles my DEF usage. :unsure:
I wish DEF had a 10-year shelf life like MotoMix. Generally speaking, how many gallons of DEF are you going through per year?

·
P2609 Fanatic
6,567 Posts
Generally speaking, how many gallons of DEF are you going through per year?
Well gee... I spend so much time pumping it out of the trucks DEF tank every Spring it's kinda' hard to tell. :unsure:
A couple of years ago I did a hand calculation based on my records and I believe DEF mileage was 825 MPG.

One emissions fun fact I can tell you is that when the camper is loaded on the truck and I'm on the highway the truck does not do regens. It simply doesn't happen.
(Post turbo EGT's are usually between 800 & 950F under those conditions)
If I take the camper off the truck and run into to town to sightsee you can be sure she will regen... frequently.

·
Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
16,144 Posts

·
P2609 Fanatic
6,567 Posts
It's almost like the trucks were meant to be used and not as commuter vehicles.
My silly 3500 HO-Cummins/AISIN for serious use?
No Sir.
For heavy interstate commerce FCA offers the Ecodiesel in a stout 1500 chassis. 💪

·
Premium Member
19,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,227 · (Edited)
One emissions fun fact I can tell you is that when the camper is loaded on the truck and I'm on the highway the truck does not do regens. It simply doesn't happen.
(Post turbo EGT's are usually between 800 & 950F under those conditions)
If I take the camper off the truck and run into to town to sightsee you can be sure she will regen... frequently.
My 2015 is very similar. If I'm on the highway (loaded or unloaded), it seems to go forever before I see a regen. I see a regen approximately every 100 - 120 miles with strictly in-town driving.

I still haven't figured out the 2020, so I don't know how it compares to the 2015. It uses a low and high pressure EGR, which keeps the engine oil much cleaner compared to the previous generation, but seems to use more DEF.

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Premium Member
19,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,228 ·
Here's my fuel/DEF update.

(January)
22.854 gallons of diesel, $90.95
2.5 gallons of DEF, $20.00

(February)
44.699 gallons of diesel, $196.14
5 gallons of DEF, $38.85

(March)
100.975 gallons of diesel, $515.66
0 gallons of DEF, $0

(April)
36.148 gallons of diesel, $183.82
0 gallons of DEF, $0

(May)
83.101 gallons, $466.46
5 gallons of DEF, $49.98

(June)
47.693 gallons, $268.58
0 gallons of DEF, $0.00

Reactions: ‘04CTD

·
Premium Member
19,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,230 ·
Reactions: Electrojake

·
Premium Member
19,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,232 ·
We had our neighborhood cleanup day. That's when the Solid Waste Department picks up yard debris, appliances, and other junk at no cost. I had all the limbs carried away and my neighbor put out some of the fencing that I took down.

·
Premium Member
19,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,233 ·
@Electrojake, a buddy from Arizona called me today to tell me about the DEF refractometer he recently bought. He's the one with a 2012 Denali Duramax with a whopping 27,527 miles. His concern was knowing when to drain the DEF due to time and heat. His urea concentration read 35%. Good DEF should be in the 32% - 34% range. Even though his truck sits in the garage, the temperature today hit 100*F inside the garage. Anyway, I was wondering if you use a DEF refractometer to determine when to drain, or if you drain based on time?

·
Registered
Youtube Certified Mechanic
324 Posts
@Electrojake, a buddy from Arizona called me today to tell me about the DEF refractometer he recently bought. He's the one with a 2012 Denali Duramax with a whopping 27,527 miles. His concern was knowing when to drain the DEF due to time and heat. His urea concentration read 35%. Good DEF should be in the 32% - 34% range. Even though his truck sits in the garage, the temperature today hit 100*F inside the garage. Anyway, I was wondering if you use a DEF refractometer to determine when to drain, or if you drain based on time?
When you have as much money as @Electrojake, issues like these are trivial.

·
Premium Member
19,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,235 ·
He pumps DEF from the tank each spring, so I'm curious if he's testing or just going off time. I'm tempted to buy a DEF refractometer myself.

·
Red Rider
16,144 Posts
He pumps DEF from the tank each spring, so I'm curious if he's testing or just going off time. I'm tempted to buy a DEF refractometer myself.
Neither.

He’s in a paranoid state and tosses perfectly good DEF out like cash at multiple storage units.

Gesture Font Money handling Banknote Dollar

·
Premium Member
19,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,237 ·
DEF prices have been going up! SuperTech is now $13.98. I went back to my 2019 records and saw that I was buying SuperTech for $7.88!

·
Red Rider
16,144 Posts
DEF prices have been going up! SuperTech is now $13.98. I went back to my 2019 records and saw that I was buying SuperTech for $7.88!
That comes out to a 77.41% increase....

At $13.98 / box....that’s $5.59 / gallon.

Bulk DEF at the pump at most T/A and Petro locations is still $3.99 to $4.19 tax in.

Reactions: dieselenthusiast

·
P2609 Fanatic
6,567 Posts
Let me clear that up for you. . .
I have a nice comfortable income... but near nothing for daily pocket money.
The storage units are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my many <cough> investment strategies. 🙄
-Ej- 💸 :cry:

·
Premium Member
19,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,240 ·
I just read an interesting article explaining why automakers are planning for layoffs. The problem is a shortage of parts/materials. Automakers are also anticipating the market to cool and sales to decrease; however, if the market doesn't cool, then dealer inventories could take another hit. As you can see, it's been a very slow recovery.

9221 - 9240 of 10426 Posts