Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
9121 - 9140 of 10335 Posts

·
Unregistered
23,948 Posts
I mostly don't care, lol. Both tires would be fine for snow. The one on the right would be better for deep snow (the paddle effect) and the thinner tread blocks 'might' be a little more pliable.
Your answer is indeed correct, but it has nothing to do with any "paddle effect" or how pliable the the tread blocks are.
And while both do work in snow, the one to the right is at least 30% more effective.

So do you know what makes a tire work in snow?

·
Registered
2006 F250 SD,4x4
5,033 Posts
I would try Hot Shot's Secret Stiction Eliminator. If that stuff doesn't work, then it's time for new/rebuilt injectors. Are you planning to keep your truck for a few more years?

Due to a loss of traction?
I can't remember what I bought. None of that gimmick oil has ever worked. And yes loss of traction/traile not loaded properly plus that trailer was to big for the SUV towing it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,123 ·
Your answer is indeed correct, but it has nothing to do with any "paddle effect" or how pliable the the tread blocks are.
And while both do work in snow, the one to the right is at least 30% more effective.

So do you know what makes a tire work in snow?
A designated snow tire for an ATV/UTV is designed to keep the machine from burying itself. The one on the left is more likely to dig. The one on the right will keep it more afloat with the horizontal paddles. And similar to an on-road vehicle tire, siping and more pliable tread provides better traction on ice/compacted snow.

Reactions: ‘04CTD

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,124 ·
And yes loss of traction/traile not loaded properly plus that trailer was to big for the SUV towing it.
If that tow vehicle a front wheel drive only?

·
Registered
2004 2500 555/5600 RWD QC/LB
1,023 Posts
If that tow vehicle a front wheel drive only?
Then it’s only a question of setting correct weight distribution with that type of hitch.

HP, etc, isn’t the problem.
FWD isn’t any bar

WDH How To

Andrew Thomson on WDH & J2807

Hitch receiver modified to be correct. The force applied by the bars needs to have the leverage not taken up by frame shift or receiver flex

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive design

Handwriting Font Line Schematic Parallel

Easier in 1966 as America hadn’t yet devolved into tattooed, drooling TV-watchers. Manufacturer-provided schematic. Unit-body makes a better tow vehicle anyway.

You see the owners of that tow rig again, maybe it’s worth the while to give them these links.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
We probably won't ever have a lawn again in my lifetime, other than a small patch of grass that can be mowed with an electric push mower. My dad still mows 3 acres. He's pickier about the lawn in the front of the house as it gets push mowed. The rest of the yard gets mowed with a John Deere 4410 and Frontier finish mower. He ran turf tires for many years, then changed to R4s when the R3s wore out. His property sits on a limestone shelf, so it doesn't stay muddy for long.

So why do you own turf tires if you have no grass?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Rhett, as you just pointed out, you don't even have a lawn (or a real tractor for that matter), so why are you getting tires for it that work well on turf??

That's like trying to talk MiB into getting inferior tires...why?? I suspect that most of us here have a good idea about what tires work well on what, and why, so there's no real reason to regurgitate basic tread theory.

Also, in your case I would think that with minuscule weight you should go for R1s, then groove them to increase the contact pressure.

Not tractor tires, but still. Which of these two treads would you say works best in snow, and why? View attachment 954851
Remember seeing a old trucks with tall skinny tires. Used to go everywhere in the snow.

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,132 ·
So why do you own turf tires if you have no grass?
The Versa Turf is designed for any fragile soil condition, plus it's also designed for snow traction. Its versatility is why it's a popular tire.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The Versa Turf is designed for any fragile soil condition, plus it's also designed for snow traction. Its versatility is why it's a popular tire.
So it has low ground pressure for turf and higher ground pressure for snow?

And if you don’t have turf…. Why would you need a versatile tire that’s good on turf? That said if I was gonna have a second set of tires, If I even thought it mattered on such a small machine, I would have an actual turf tire. Not a tire that doesn’t really resemble a turf tire.

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,134 ·
So it has low ground pressure for turf and higher ground pressure for snow?
It's a radial tire, which makes it great for snow. The tread design and rounded shoulder blocks are less invasive to fragile soil conditions.

·
Unregistered
23,948 Posts
It's a radial tire, which makes it great for snow.
Whoever you're pulling your quotes from obviously doesn't know much about what makes a tire, or tread, work.
Does tread conformability mean anything to you? Or how it affects disturbing the ground?

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,137 ·
So being a radial automatically makes it great for snow??
We've already covered the tread pattern characteristics. The radial further improves the tire's traction characteristics.

·
Unregistered
23,948 Posts
We've already covered the tread pattern characteristics. The radial further improves the tire's traction characteristics.
Alright, there's proof positive that you're just parroting, not having a clue what you're talking about.
It's sad, really, that you refuse to accept facts.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
It's a radial tire, which makes it great for snow. The tread design and rounded shoulder blocks are less invasive to fragile soil conditions.
Being radial doesn’t mean it’s great in snow.

What are the tire qualities that make a tire good for snow and what are qualities that make a tire good for turf.

Not your “versa” tire but in general and separate.

9121 - 9140 of 10335 Posts