Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
5001 - 5020 of 5159 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,001 ·
Here's a picture of the hay wagon. We got her loaded up this evening.

·
Premium Member
17,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,002 ·
We usually just find a tree at a top of the hill so we can throw the rounds down to the clearing if we can't get something to the wood.... but hey. Whatever works.
In New Mexico, I can cut a dead tree, split it, and haul it out in pieces. In Kansas, some of these logs can't be split by hand even though they were cut two years ago.

Cutting firewood is something we enjoy doing, so neither of us complain.

·
Premium Member
17,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,004 ·
We also loaded up the ore car. It came from New Mexico and it's going back to New Mexico.

·
Registered
21,005 Posts
The foot trail goes pretty far back, but there's not a lot of room unless we cut more trees. We carried logs as far as 40 yards today. I suggested that we clear a path for the tractor in the coming years.
If you could get your hands on a rope, strap, or chain, it'd be easy to drag a tree out in one piece, to wherever you want to cut and load it.

·
Premium Member
17,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,006 ·
Get a fiskers x27. It will change your world
I've got a few mauls, but only one axe. I could probably benefit from a good splitting axe.

One of these days I would like either a 3 point carry-all or a carry-all trailer of sorts.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
11,652 Posts
The only maul that I think is better then the fiskers splitting axe is the fiskers splitting maul. You'll thank yourself if you get both. I love mine

·
Premium Member
17,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,010 ·
If you could get your hands on a rope, strap, or chain, it'd be easy to drag a tree out in one piece, to wherever you want to cut and load it.
We didn't have much choice when we were logging oak and wild cherry for lumber. Dad isn't as motivated to do the same for firewood. Probably because we can get all the firewood he needs annually in just a few days of cutting/loading/splitting. I would guess that he burns about 1.5 cords per year.

Both dogs are enjoying the fire as we speak.

·
Premium Member
17,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,012 ·
Couldn't you just throw that stuff in the loader bucket...which you already have?
The point of a carry-all, at least from my perspective, is to have everything ready to go when you need it. For my needs, it would have a chainsaw, pole saw, fuel, bar oil, chains, rigging accessories, axe, rake, scoop shovel, pitchfork, vise, tools, etc. Essentially, it's a working platform.

• Haha
Reactions: the man in black

·
Premium Member
17,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,013 ·
The boy and I are watching "the grinch who stole christmas" for the 1,000 time.
Nice! We watched the 'Halloween is Grinch' about four weeks ago. It's a 1977 prequel to the 1966, 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'.

·
Registered
21,005 Posts
The point of a carry-all, at least from my perspective, is to have everything ready to go when you need it. For my needs, it would have a chainsaw, pole saw, fuel, bar oil, chains, rigging accessories, axe, rake, scoop shovel, pitchfork, vise, tools, etc. Essentially, it's a working platform.
So you'd be willing to take the backhoe off in order to bring all kinds of stuff, some of which you might need for a project?
Again,only bring what you need for a given task, and put it in the loader bucket.

If you absolutely must spend money, buy a Harbor Freight trailer (and paint it green, of course) for a whole lot less.
The saved monies could go towards something useful, like a tow vehicle, tractor, garage, larger flatbed trailer, etc.

·
Registered
21,005 Posts
Speaking of wasting money, I just installed an electrical conversion harness on the snow blower which cost several hundred dollars. But why?

Because operating the two functions of the chute with the universal handheld remote was kind of a pain when both hands are already busy with the joysticks.operating the machine. Also, I didn't like having a harness coming into the cab, pinched in the door seal.

Now the chute is operated by OE switches on the joysticks, through the OE electrical connector by the hydraulic connections, just like it's supposed to be.
Not that we'll get any snow this winter, either, but still.

·
Premium Member
17,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,017 ·
The only maul that I think is better then the fiskers splitting axe is the fiskers splitting maul. You'll thank yourself if you get both. I love mine
I'm sold!

So you'd be willing to take the backhoe off in order to bring all kinds of stuff, some of which you might need for a project?
Many people who use a carry-all do so to maintain their property, which is why they carry mostly yard tools (chainsaws, loppers, rakes, chains, fuel, shovels, gloves, etc.). The 2000 Jeep XJ was my carry-all.

Again,only bring what you need for a given task, and put it in the loader bucket.
The loader bucket is oftentimes used as part of property maintenance (firewood, brush, leaves, pine needles, rock, dirt, etc.).

If you absolutely must spend money, buy a Harbor Freight trailer (and paint it green, of course) for a whole lot less.
If I went with a trailer, I would want something a little more robust and off-road capable than what Harbor Freight has.

·
Premium Member
17,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,018 ·

·
Premium Member
17,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,019 ·
I think we're going to head back to New Mexico tomorrow.

5001 - 5020 of 5159 Posts