Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
4001 - 4020 of 4342 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,001 ·
The EPA still hasn't released the fuel economy numbers for the new GDE tune. According to GDE, their tune is showing a 7 - 10% gain in fuel economy with an additional 45 horsepower/80 lbs-ft! That will put the torque over 500 lbs-ft on the Superflow Dyno!

·
Registered
20,579 Posts
That will put the torque over 500 lbs-ft on the Superflow Dyno!
While it shouldn't matter what brand of chassis dyno is used, that would put it only some 150 lb.-ft. behind the good gas engine.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,003 ·

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,004 ·
Here's the 2014 - 2019 Gen II engine (measured at wheels on Superflow Dyno)

ProductionGDE EPA Compliant Tune
217 hp @ 3550 rpm250 hp @ 3550 rpm
405 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm455 lb-ft @ 2540 rpm

·
Registered
20,579 Posts
But at a much higher RPM!
So what? Since a 1500 isn't a suitable tow vehicle no matter what's under he hood, might as well enjoy the higher hp and torque output...no matter what the rpm.

Remember, I could most likely get better mpg numbers with my 3500 towing your little trailer. If I drove as slowly as you do. Life isn't all about mpg, though, and we only live once.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,006 ·
So what? Since a 1500 isn't a suitable tow vehicle no matter what's under he hood, might as well enjoy the higher hp and torque output...no matter what the rpm.
Meh, I'm not into spark plugs.

Remember, I could most likely get better mpg numbers with my 3500 towing your little trailer. If I drove as slowly as you do. Life isn't all about mpg, though, and we only live once.
Real-world data says there's a 2 mpg difference between the EcoDiesel and Cummins towing the same RV.

·
Registered
20,579 Posts
Meh, I'm not into spark plugs.

Real-world data says there's a 2 mpg difference between the EcoDiesel and Cummins towing the same RV.
Spark plugs are quite simple devices, Rhett. I bet you could learn how they work and what they do.

Real-world data? I'm willing to bet on that one, too. You've claimed 14 mpg towing your tiny trailer at low speeds. I get less than 10 pulling mine at higher speeds. That means 80 mph or so.

What would my 3500 get pulling your trailer? I don't know, and would never find out, since I couldn't stand going that slowly for some 1,000 miles to find out. Based on getting 14 mpg, which I don't doubt it could get.

Meanwhile, your mileage champion wouldn't even get five feet pulling my trailer, regardless of speed.
Okay, that was an exaggeration. It would go farther than that, but how far? Well, that's another thing I don't know.

It'd be easy enough to eliminate the trailer and just put some 5,000 lbs. of load in yours and see how it likes it.
My guess is that it wouldn't, and that's not counting pulling the rest of the weight, or the wind resistance.

Yes, these are my more specific examples, not your extremely vague "same RV". Either way, I'm up for a real real-world comparison if you are. Heck, I'd even do a 1500 vs. 1500. At least I wouldn't have to waste time unplugging the block heater cord if we did.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,008 ·
Real-world data?
Airstream prefers that two transporters travel together. The 2014 EcoDiesel transporter and 2019 Cummins transporter travel together from coast to coast oftentimes hauling the same size Airstream. Both drivers keep a fuel log and compare notes. The EcoDiesel transporter said he conservatively averages 2 mpg more than the Cummins transporter.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
How often is "oftentimes "? When not the same as in identical does one generally pull larger campers? Does one generally pull smaller campers? Should we use apples when we compare potatoes and call that real world as well? It's easy to get the results you want when you make you're own rules and dont look at real facts.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,010 ·
How often is "oftentimes "?
They average 10,000 miles each month and travel together quite a bit. They come through here several times each month delivering to California and Arizona.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
They average 10,000 miles each month and travel together quite a bit. They come through here several times each month delivering to California and Arizona.
Way to not answer the question. If they arent traveling the same routes with the same trailer all the time their numbers are not directly comparable.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,012 ·
Way to not answer the question. If they arent traveling the same routes with the same trailer all the time their numbers are not directly comparable.
I already made that clear. Airstream wants them to travel together. They are literally driving the same route at the same time. For comparison purposes, they sometimes haul identical trailers, or a trailer with similar dimensions and weight, but a different floor plan.

·
White Lightning
14,055 Posts

·
White Lightning
14,055 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,015 ·
New Mexico had the first USDA slaughterhouse approved for horses in the United States, but it was met with so much resistance that I'm not sure it ever was converted from beef to horse.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
I already made that clear. Airstream wants them to travel together. They are literally driving the same route at the same time. For comparison purposes, they sometimes haul identical trailers, or a trailer with similar dimensions and weight, but a different floor plan.
So they only compare mileage when they are hauling the same trailer on the same route? If youd have made that clear from the get go this wouldnt happen.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,017 ·
So they only compare mileage when they are hauling the same trailer on the same route? If youd have made that clear from the get go this wouldnt happen.
I thought I made that clear from the beginning!

Airstream prefers that two transporters travel together. The 2014 EcoDiesel transporter and 2019 Cummins transporter travel together from coast to coast oftentimes hauling the same size Airstream. Both drivers keep a fuel log and compare notes. The EcoDiesel transporter said he conservatively averages 2 mpg more than the Cummins transporter.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
I thought I made that clear from the beginning!
The rest of the paragraph says "oftentimes" hauling the same size trailer. So do they compare mileage only when hauling the same size(dimension and weight) trailer?

Then you simple say they keep logs and compare them. Vague as it could mean in the general sense like most if not all transporters keep logs of all their miles. So that sentence could be taken as you know they just compare logs not necessarily of the times when they are hauling the same trailer over the same route.

Given your fondness for being extremely vague you can see how we got to where we are.

In short do they only compare mileage on the trips where they hauled the same trailer on the same route. Answer that question as a whole.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,019 ·
The rest of the paragraph says "oftentimes" hauling the same size trailer. So do they compare mileage only when hauling the same size(dimension and weight) trailer?
He said the average is a good 2 mpg difference (conservatively) regardless of trailer being towed. Even when he's at max tow, he can average 12 mpg while the Cummins pulling the same 8,000 lb trailer is averaging 10 mpg. He noted that when they unhook, that's when the EcoDiesel really saves fuel.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,020 ·
I have a little more space to put one more section of gearwall in the garage, so I ordered more wall panel last night. The company is backlogged on product/shipping, so it might not get here for a few weeks. Once that is installed with new shelving, then I'll finish cleaning/organizing the garage. Hopefully I can get a hold of my electrician and have the lights installed by December.

4001 - 4020 of 4342 Posts