Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
3981 - 4000 of 4342 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
If the deer and elk are at lower elevations, what kind of hunter would find the mule? Does New Mexico have a mule season? That would make sense of why there would be hunters that high.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,984 ·
If the deer and elk are at lower elevations, what kind of hunter would find the mule? Does New Mexico have a mule season? That would make sense of why there would be hunters that high.
The hope would be any type of hunter who may be in the area. It could be an elk or mule deer hunter, but it also could be hunters for mountain grouse, big horn, ibex, or bear.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
The hope would be any type of hunter who may be in the area. It could be an elk or mule deer hunter, but it also could be hunters for mountain grouse, big horn, ibex, or bear.
But if the mule defaults to >8500ft and most wildlife is "at lower elevations" why would the hunters even be >8500'?

·
Registered
245 Posts
But if the mule defaults to >8500ft and most wildlife is "at lower elevations" why would the hunters even be >8500'?
And hunters usually shoot things. I sure hope no-one shoots the mule. Because then the pack saddle would have a hole in it.

·
Registered
20,579 Posts
...but it also could be hunters for mountain grouse, big horn, ibex, or bear.
Good thing the bear don't like the taste of mule, then. Or do bear only hang out at lower elevations than mules do?

But that can't be, if people hunt for bear at higher elevations. Either way, I'm getting more confused than usual. Always thought that animals didn't really care about elevation per se, but instead going by temperature. Which in turn means access to food.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,988 ·
Depending on the wilderness area, the elevation doesn't drop any lower for miles, hence default zone. Hunters have to transverse terrain to get to their hunting destinations. But to answer your question, the animals I mentioned (grouse, bighorn, bear, and ibex) are mostly at higher elevations. Elk and mule deer can be at higher elevations, too. This time of year, they begin to drop to lower elevations. They also travel to lower elevations for water sources.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,989 ·
And hunters usually shoot things. I sure hope no-one shoots the mule. Because then the pack saddle would have a hole in it.
That would be a very poor hunter if he/she was shooting at something they clearly couldn't see.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Depending on the wilderness area, the elevation doesn't drop any lower for miles, hence default zone. Hunters have to transverse terrain to get to their hunting destinations. But to answer your question, the animals I mentioned (grouse, bighorn, bear, and ibex) are mostly at higher elevations. Elk and mule deer can be at higher elevations, too. This time of year, they begin to drop to lower elevations. They also travel to lower elevations for water sources.
We know. Animals travel around. I was going off what you said though. Vague nonsense. You seem to know generally where the mule is maybe you should go take a look.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,991 ·
Always thought that animals didn't really care about elevation per se, but instead going by temperature. Which in turn means access to food.
Every animal has their natural habitat. I've never seen an antelope in the mountains and I've never seen a mountain grouse below 8,000' feet.

·
Premium Member
17,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,993 ·
So a mountain area is anything over 8000'?
That depends on where you are. We've been hiking/climbing the tallest peak and/or highpoint in each state. Below is Mount Magazine, the tallest mountain in Arkansas with an elevation of 2'753 feet!

Oh, and my in-town home is the same elevation as the highest mountain in the entire Appalachian Mountains.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
So maybe just because you've never seen something doesnt mean it cant happen. Like a mule default below 8500ft.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
11,260 Posts
Well, there was a misunderstanding between my general and my footings guy. Walls go up next week at our place, but the road builder is hard at work in the rain today making me a 1/2 mile long driveway

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
11,260 Posts
So maybe just because you've never seen something doesnt mean it cant happen. Like a mule default below 8500ft.
I've never seen a man eat his own face before, and i've been told that can happen

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
11,260 Posts
Plenty of things I've never seen but know can happen.
Like the wall surrounding the earth that keeps the water in since the Earth is flat? I heard that wall is really hard to get a good picture of because they deliberately fly planes far enough away from the wall that you can't ever see it. And it's guarded by thousands of troops with order to shoot on site any unauthorized people that get close enough to see it.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
11,260 Posts
And for anyone that doubts that the earth is flat, here is a youtube video, with 5 experts, and 5 explanations showing without a doubt that the earth is in fact, flat

3981 - 4000 of 4342 Posts