Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
2841 - 2860 of 3410 Posts

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
Changed out my in cabin air filter. I thought I did it last year but I guess not. No records of it, definitely needed it.
Are you sure it's not like a K&N, so it needs a little dirt on it to function?

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts
It was stamped Mopar, i wonder if there was a fleetguard or parcor filter i should've looked into....

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
Jeez, Loki, an OE filter?? Most anything is better than stock.
You should start a thread on which one is best.

Reactions: Loki223

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts
I was actually thinking of starting a thread about installing a UV lightbar in the filter box to help kill off more pathogens using the UV light

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
I thought the mandates mask(s) were supposed to handle that.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,847 ·
I'm planning to change the front diff fluid this weekend. Before doing so, I wanted to make sure I had the right tools. The fill and drain plug uses a T-50 torx bit. The last time I used this bit was in 2006 when removing seat belt bolts on a 1993 GMC Sierra.

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
Looks like you gave that poor bit hell. Might as well buy a new one, in case you want to change the front diff fluid again at some point in time.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,849 ·
It's been a few days of charging and desulfation. The battery is showing improvement, but I'm not sure if it can be completely restored. I think I can make it work a little longer. I already found it's future replacement.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,850 ·
Looks like you gave that poor bit hell. Might as well buy a new one, in case you want to change the front diff fluid again at some point in time.
The test fit was a little too loose for my liking, but maybe that's how those fill/drain plugs are. I think it will be fine, but I'll eventually run to Harbor Freight and get me a set of Icons.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,852 ·

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
Give that Interstate some time, desulfation is not a fast process. More importantly, do check the water level every now and then. It sounds like the main reason that battery went unhappy on you was that you forgot that little detail.

Besides, an Odyssey battery is not a good choice for those who neglect their batteries. They do not take kindly to being fully discharged.

As for the Torx bits, I guess nothing but the best is good enough for you. And Harbor Freight must be in the top three for quality tools.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
10,918 Posts
The best harbor freight tool is a single use tool. And it's not like totx stuff is expensive....

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
I do have some Harbor Freight tools. Primarily as complete abuse tools, and for when it doesn't really matter.

Bought a few of the 3/8"-1-1/4" wrench sets when they were $16 or so. Some of the larger sizes have been used to weld up tie rods and frames on the trail. Also, their dead blow hammers can last for a year or two...if you don't use them much.

·
White Lightning
13,910 Posts
He transports, but doesn't tow. Here's the breakdown:

I purchased a set of 4 Michelin's ( 275/60R/20 ) out the door for $ 950 at BJ's Club at 130,402 on the odometer with 12/32nds tread new.

At 236,052 on the odometer I now have 7/32nds left. I usually replace my tires at 3/32nds but you could go to the warning markers at 2/32nds. So, what is my expected life of the tires ?

236,053 - 130,402 = 105,651 miles used
12/32 - 7/32 = 5/ 32 used
105,651 / 5 = 21,130 miles per 32nd

So, 9 ( /32 total useable tire ) times 21,130 miles per 32nd = 190,170 miles expected life of the tires.
So, ( $ 950 / 190,170 ) * 1,000 = Cost per 1,000 miles = $ 4.99

UPDATE 7/21/21 TIRE LIFE 163K+ with new tires installed today.
I can say with a huge degree of certainty that those last few 32nds of tread will nowhere extrapolate down to the mileage he “assumed” he’d get from them. As the tread depth diminishes, most manufacturers will compensate in regards to wet weather traction with a change in rubber compounds.....rubber compounds that wear quickly.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,857 ·
Give that Interstate some time, desulfation is not a fast process. More importantly, do check the water level every now and then. It sounds like the main reason that battery went unhappy on you was that you forgot that little detail.
I think you're right. I did some reading and learned that deep discharging a battery (similar to a dump trailer) causes it to burn through more water. I haven't experienced that with my RV batteries, but I'm also not discharging those at a rapid rate.

Besides, an Odyssey battery is not a good choice for those who neglect their batteries. They do not take kindly to being fully discharged.
There are a few benefits to the AGM, though.
(1) AGM will charge faster
(2) AGM has a slower discharge rate
(3) AGM is spill proof, vibration resistant, and maintenance free
(4) AGM doesn't require frequent water fills
(5) AGM is less likely to build up sulfation

In many ways, I think the AGM is better as long as I don't fully discharge the battery.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,858 ·
As for the Torx bits, I guess nothing but the best is good enough for you. And Harbor Freight must be in the top three for quality tools.
As I've posted before, Icon is a professional grade tool for a better price. How much cheaper? I have no idea since I don't shop around for hand tools. Gurus have taken Icon part numbers and designs to determine who makes the tool for them. Surprisingly, their tools are a mixed bag. Some makes/models are either rebadged or redesigned using the same features as Dewalt, Carlyle, Milwaukee, SP tools, etc. Many of their tools are made by Infar and Hi-Five tools.

I like Harbor Freight because it's what we have here and their Icon tools always seem to be in-stock. Tractor Supply is starting to carry more Dewalt hand tools, but nothing like Harbor Freight's Icon line. Tractor Supply and Home Depot are out of stock on many of their hand tools. I also like that Harbor Freight has a no-question lifetime warranty, similar to what Sears/Craftsman used to have.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,859 ·
I can say with a huge degree of certainty that those last few 32nds of tread will nowhere extrapolate down to the mileage he “assumed” he’d get from them. As the tread depth diminishes, most manufacturers will compensate in regards to wet weather traction with a change in rubber compounds.....rubber compounds that wear quickly.
Very interesting. That would make sense. I don't like driving on 4/32, so I can't imagine 3/32 or 2/32.

My tires were 4/32 when Discount Tire warrantied them. I thought they would make me wear the tires down to 3/32 before warrantying them (per their warranty agreement), but the tech said, "these tires are nowhere close to where they should be, so we're going to warranty them".

While I was waiting in the lobby, I read that DIscount Tire won't rotate, balance, or repair a tire lower than 3/32nds.

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
I did some reading and learned that deep discharging a battery (similar to a dump trailer) causes it to burn through more water.

There are a few benefits to the AGM, though. In many ways, I think the AGM is better as long as I don't fully discharge the battery.
Why do you equate using a battery in a dump trailer to deep discharging it?!? My little 10-footer doesn't even have provisions for being charged by the tow vehicle, and while the 16-footer does, it has never been electrically connected to a tow vehicle. Yet they have never been anywhere near fully discharged.

Not that it would really matter if they were charged by the tow vehicle, as it would take a lot of driving and very little dumping to keep those batteries fully charged. What I do is charge them at the end of the day, or after having used them, even if it was for only one dump.
What I don't do is forget to check the water level (when they still had wet batteries), or use the built in charger.

I'm a big fan of AGM batteries, but Odyssey is far from the only brand out there. They would probably be my last choice. Unless Harbor Freight also has AGMs these days.
Since you don't seem to be into battery maintenance, the Odyssey really isn't for you. Yes. they're very expensive, but much like Platinum DEF and designer oils, that doesn't automatically make them superior.

Find the largest AGM that'll fit, of a normal brand, and keep it charged. But not with the built in charger, unless its output happens to suit AGMs better than it does wet batteries (although I still wouldn't use it).

2841 - 2860 of 3410 Posts