Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
2801 - 2820 of 3410 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,802 ·
You dont require a truck 7 days a week though. You require transportation which a car could provide. That's the point. Just because you drive the truck daily doesnt mean you require the truck daily. You require transportation daily.
That's the beauty of owning a Ram 1500. It can do everything a car does and much more. A car would be useless for our lifestyle. The 4 door Wrangler is probably the smallest vehicle we would own.

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
That's the beauty of owning a Ram 1500. It can do everything a car does and much more. A car would be useless for our lifestyle. The 4 door Wrangler is probably the smallest vehicle we would own.
Lifestyle... wants... don’t say you know how to be financially responsible when you can’t tell the difference between a want and a need.

Like I said, pointless to talk to you. You move the gold posts and change the equation to suit the answer you want.

Nothing wrong with what your doing, just be honest why your doing it. You contradict yourself every time you type something. You have bogus reasons and make them vague so you can manipulate them.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,804 ·
Lifestyle... wants... don’t say you know how to be financially responsible when you can’t tell the difference between a want and a need.
Being financially responsible has nothing to do with wants and needs. Financial responsibility is about paying debts.

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Being financially responsible has nothing to do with wants and needs. Financial responsibility is about paying debts.
Adding stability by saving more or not wasting money is also part of it.

Not adding debt that isn’t needed. Don’t borrow money when your not gonna have an income for said money.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,806 ·
Adding stability by saving more or not wasting money is also part of it.
Agreed, which is why we're keeping vehicles for the long-haul rather than trading every 5 years.

Not adding debt that isn’t needed. Don’t borrow money when your not gonna have an income for said money.
We use the 15% rule, which means that we spend no more than 15% of our monthly take-home pay on vehicle expenses.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,809 ·
That’s like saying you eat healthy because your diet only consists of 15% candy.
I have to draw the line somewhere and the 15% rule seems both reasonable and financially sound.

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
Oops. That makes me quite financially irresponsible then.

Thankfully, my real estate transactions has partially made up for my lack of responsibility. Maybe because I never bought any as an investment, but instead bought what I wanted, then sold when I no longer did.

But you are far from the only one I know that tries to make money on real estate, but doesn't do well.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,811 ·
But you are far from the only one I know that tries to make money on real estate, but doesn't do well.
For the most part, our real-estate investments have been successful. We haven't put a lot of money into the investments therefore our returns aren't huge. The same with precious metals.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Are you paying cash for the properties or loan? Are you factoring taxes and interest if a loan into your "profits"?

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
For the most part, our real-estate investments have been successful. We haven't put a lot of money into the investments therefore our returns aren't huge.
If not losing money is the goal, yes then you've been successful.

Best one yet for me, percentage wise but certainly not in dollars, was paying $18K for a lot and selling it for 150K six months later. If only I could do that once a year.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,814 ·
Are you paying cash for the properties or loan?
Cash for now. That will change if we get into condos, townhouses, or homes. There's not much we can do in this current market, though.

Are you factoring taxes and interest if a loan into your "profits"?
Yes, everything is factored in. We offer owner financing which helps increase profits.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,815 ·
If not losing money is the goal, yes then you've been successful.
We haven't lost money, but we're also buying pretty low risk properties. Tax deductions is also a source of income even though we don't calculate that into the profits, but that can save us $4,000 - $5,000 dollars each year.

Best one yet for me, percentage wise but certainly not in dollars, was paying $18K for a lot and selling it for 150K six months later. If only I could do that once a year.
If the conditions are right, amazing things can happen. Even our in-town home has increased in value by $70,000 just in the 5 years we've owned it.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
How are tax deductions and income? You're just keeping more of your money not making more of it.

·
Premium Member
17,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,819 ·
2801 - 2820 of 3410 Posts