Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few months ago I was in motorcycle shop in Edmonton and saw this "bike carrier" made by a company called "Versahaul". I thought it was a great idea but seemed flimsy and the bike rocked even with their "locking system", with a price tag over $600 CDN, I kept walking.

I kept thinking about this carrier and liked the idea of taking the Katana with us on our trip to BC at the end of June. I love to ride on the BC roads!! So I drafted up a few ideas until I decided to build a "Kat Cradle" that incorporates 3 receivers, not just one so that the bike will not rock, and is obviously stronger. I also had to manufacture a new bumper/hitch for the back of our 5th wheel. The bike gets strapped down at 4 points, directly in the 2x2s going into the outside receivers.

So I bought some metal and between last night and today, here is the result. It is not totally complete yet, I still need to paint it all black, because black is clearly the fastest colour (look at my Kat).

The Kat Cradle includes a detachable ramp, and is mounted during transport (as shown). I will get more pictures later this week with the bike on the carrier, I'd like to hear what you think. My next project will be adding the 2 extra hitch receivers to the frame on the MegaCab, just in case I need to transport a bike in need of a ride.

Overall picture of the Kat Cradle on a 27' Kustom Koach

The riding surface on the right is where the bike will ride during transport, it includes an end stop to prevent pushing it right over. In this picure you can see the 4 tie-down points.

The center receiver is reinforced with a 7/16" steel plate, I will add another length of 2"ID so I can Haul my boat behind the carrier if I chose to.

Behind the scenes, the outer receivers are reinforced by the 3/8" steel mounting brackets.

A lock to keep the Kat where it belongs

·
Registered
680 Posts
looks great! I'm sure that turned out alot cheaper even with steel prices..

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Good job... The versahauls are a little more strong than you would think. A ftiend of mine drove all over california with his CBR600rr on one and he was impressed. I do like yours better though.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Nice!! I did the same kinda thing on my bumper pull for my sons 300 atv but you have to be very careful with the loading of the trailer

Chris

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
I looked at buying a versihauler but thought it would rock to much with my R1. But they do say they hold the bike fine and one website showed a blazer that rolled and the bike was still strapped down to the carier and didnt move. Which impressed me but I would much rather throw it on a trailer or in the bed of my truck.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Very nice....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
overall cost was around $200 + drill bits and flap discs for the grinder. I'm going to paint it tonight and if all goes well I'll take it for the maiden voyage with the bike on it tomorrow, I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it is all painted and ready to get the bike on the cradle, great day outside. I get home from work and wouldn't you know it!! the wind kicks up like there is no tomorrow, the clouds come blasting in and lightning, thunder, rain and tree branches are flying!!! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT!!

I managed to get the bike into the garage and closed the door before she got hit by lightning, what the @*%$ is that all about??

Anyways, didn't get the bike on there tonight, but here are a couple of more pics for now, more to follow with the bike on the rack.

I definitely think it looks WAY BETTER now that it is painted. The storm broke up enough to let some light through and it was an awesome sight. Hard to tell from this picture, but the wind was still blasting and the rain was coming down sideways from a fire red sky as I ventured to the edge of my garage and took this pic (not my truck or trailer in pic).

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
pic-ie no work-ie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I see all red X's

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I see the pics, and that thing looks great!! Well done!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks Good,

I have a Versahaul, bike carrier for my truck. Stable as can be. Although, I am only hauling a 230lb. YZ450F.
Not sure on how it would work with my road bike on it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That's a good looking set up. Thanks for sharing the idea.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New Pics With Bike

OK, so here it is!! I am really happy with it, loading went great, solid as a rock.
My buddy drove behind me while we drove on the highway, took some turns around town, and she didn't even budge.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Das' Purdy.... I like it. It is much cheaper than my motorcycle carrier. Some days I think I should have done something like that.

Mine cost a lot of money to get the 12ft garage in the back.

Great job. I like the setup.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, the one thing that I really need to add is a visual aid to let me know that the bike is still there. Something low tech, I'm thinking a couple of orange bicycle flags, zap-strapped to the bike somehow.
I only drove around for about 20 minutes and it drove me crazy not being able to see it!! Looks like a trip to WALMART to the kids bicycle department.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts