Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have the motor back far enough that I can use the motor fan.Unless someone is towing with a electric and has had the problems I tow 17k GVW may be more. From what I have read there are some that like the pre made mounts some do not. I am looking for suggestions and pics of what has been done.I was thinking of just making the ones that came with the motor work.It is a 97 from a 2wheel drive.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered my plate,starter and mounts from Auto world .They said they had redone the mounts with extra holes so you can run the stock fan.The plate was out of stock hope it comes this week.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's not hard to make your own mounts, that way you can put the motor wherever you want it. My engine is in, with transmission and transfer case. Stock length driveshafts, no firewall bashing, and I'm mocking up the dodge radiator, intercooler, and stock dodge fan now.

There's plenty of room in this era of fords to use whatever you want, why pay $300 for mounts that don't let you do it the way you want to. My mounts took about an hour for each side, and have about $20 in them for materials.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am able to use the stock Cummins fan as well. But I did have to modify the firewall, and am using the stock Ford Radiator. I think there is a little more room to work with in the 92-97 Fords than the 87 to 91 body style, cause there is no way that thing would fit without the firewall modifications.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
From the measurements I have taken it looks real tight to me.What year motor did you use? What mounts did you use.do you have any pics of your install.What did you do for the tach?Your truck looks great

·
Registered
30 Posts
No doubt it is tight! the motor was a Cummins Reman and it looked to be from a Bus at one time. 91 12v VE pump vintage.

I will post some pics next week, Not shure if you can see the pics but take a look at this thread form OB.net:

Oilburners.net

The motor came out of a 85 Ford F350 that had the Cummins Conversion done on it in 2000. that was my doner truck so I am not shure where the motor mounts came from. From what I udnerstand a place on Arazona did the conversion.

I am working on the Tac today. There is a ring gear/sproket on the front of the harmonic balancer with a Ford magnetic pickup on a hand made bracket. But I cant get the thing to read my tac. I may need a new sender but will have to make a couple of phone calls on Monday.

There is a lot of small stuff involved with these swaps!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey 94Matt./... how about posting some pics of your mounts :popcorn:
Will do. I have been taking pics along the way with the idea being when I get it done, I'll get someone to put them online for me. I was thinking one of those free album sites???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts