Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should you let your diesel idle for before you drive it? I heard you just have the turbo bearings get some oil then your good. But i also heard the oil doesn't get to the pistons or something Idk. Lets say its 20 degrees out. How long should you let it idle? And if you have a block heater can you start it and go?

·
Registered
993 Posts
If its 20 out I would let it idle for prob 10-15 minutes. But thats just me. I dont like to freeze to long! But with fuel so high I hate to waste too much.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
If it is really cold I will let it idle for 3-5 mins if it is not plugged and then I will drive VERY conservatively for a little while. If I plugged it in then I fire and go. If it is above 40* I will let it idle for 1-2 mins at the most and go...I just use a light foot for the first coupla miles.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The engine wears most when it's cold. The way to keep it cold as long as possible is to idle it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The engine wears most when it's cold. The way to keep it cold as long as possible is to idle it.
Yup, the truck will not get up to temp idling. What I will do in the winter is start the truck and put it in gear with the parking brake on and let it idle. With my TC the egt's sit right around 400-450 and the truck comes up to temp fairly fast since the trans oil is heating the engine oil also.

I don't recommend setting the parking brake and leaving the truck, if your parking brake fails your truck will idle away. What I do is park against something I can't drive over, and set the brake.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If you have an exhaust brake turn it on. That gets EGT up too.

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
i let mine idle for 3 min if its in the garage. i havent plugged mine in all winter cuz its in the garage. if its outside maybe 6 or 7 min. plugged in

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so its more wear and tear to let it idle for a long time cus it can't get warm? But if u drive it cold won't the rpms wear it quicker ?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
So you let it idle for a long time then go while the engine is still cold has to be more wear than not letting it idle and go while the engine is still cold. Even if the engine is colder if you go right away it will warm up sooner than a long idle so the result is less wear.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
so its more wear and tear to let it idle for a long time cus it can't get warm? But if u drive it cold won't the rpms wear it quicker ?
So long as you use a light foot it will not be too bad....I won't crack 1900rpms until my engine hits 100* oil temp, I read it off my juice.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
This is the very reason I put an elect clutch on my fan you don't need that fan pulling cold air when its cold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts