Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So currently I am running what is in my sig, not sure of 1/4 mile times or hp/tq or anything. I use my '05 as a daily driver and just want to have the luxury of that extra added power when racing around town.
My plans as of right now would be to get rid of the BD and go with a smarty. Then after that I am thinking about injectors, maybe 90's? I want to get more hp without having to do lots of supporting mods such as cp3, lift pump, etc.
Any suggestions on what would be best to get some good hp gains without spending to much money, or having to do tons of upgrades.
Any suggestions welcome!!

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
got FP or RP gauges yet?? if not i would get them before u get into injectors...or any fuel mods, just so u know whats really goin on

u can make some pretty good power with an 05 running just a smarty sr. but its not gona be all that useable.

ur tranny is ur weak point and the most expensive thing to upgrade (assuming u do it the right way) even with just a tuner running a relatively mild tune ur tranny will take a beating.

if u have good self control and dont wana touch ur trans get a tuner intake exhaust and keep it on a low setting...but if not or if u want more than just 40 extra hp (which it sounds like u do) start pricing out transmissions or internal parts upgrades and the labor for it.

just to give u an idea im about to spend about 5500+ on my trans...then i can start thinking about turbo's injectors, and cp3 mods...assuming i can find a money tree :lol4:

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
im noty sure what ur ultimate HP goals are but heres a graph from Doghouse Diesel Performance the owner of the site is a member on here and has one of the most solid build threads ive read. he knows alot about diesels and working on them and what it costs to make RELIABLE power

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got FP or RP gauges yet?? if not i would get them before u get into injectors...or any fuel mods, just so u know whats really goin on

u can make some pretty good power with an 05 running just a smarty sr. but its not gona be all that useable.

ur tranny is ur weak point and the most expensive thing to upgrade (assuming u do it the right way) even with just a tuner running a relatively mild tune ur tranny will take a beating.

if u have good self control and dont wana touch ur trans get a tuner intake exhaust and keep it on a low setting...but if not or if u want more than just 40 extra hp (which it sounds like u do) start pricing out transmissions or internal parts upgrades and the labor for it. :lol4:
Assuming I got FP and RP gauges, what kinds of pressures am I looking to be in between?

I just up grade my valve bodies I believe, maybe looking into getting a quality TC once the money is there. What other types of tranny upgrades would be the most beneficial?

Also, you said get a "tuner intake exhaust" is that suppose to be tuner, intake, and exhaust?? Or is that somthing I dont know about lol...Im sorta new with the diesel world so any small explanations are big helps.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
yea just left out my commas. usually im pretty good about that lol.

ur FP should be a bare minimum of 9psi i believe to keep ur CP3 happy ( i see anywhere from 17-21psi with my airdog)

minimum RP for start up is 5000PSI and idle should be about 8K. at WOT u should be near 23K PSI or so but could be much more depending on the tune ur running.

a TC and VB are a good start assuming ur trans has no existing issues. the other mods for ur trans are gona depend on the power u want.

thers a ton of good tranny threads on here but generally what ive been told is that u dont need a billet input until ur making about 600hp and even then the stocker could be alright if u dont do 4wd launches or boosted launches. id weant the extra security though. everytime i read about a billet input snapping it alwasy takes out the TC with it. so consider 700$ a minor price to pay to ensure ur new TC is safe and u dont have to drop the trans again.

u wont need billet intermeadiate or output shafts until 700+ hp i think( im no where near that just what ive been told so dont take my word for it)

also consider a flex plate upgrade. im getting the "haisleys insert" flexplate from georend (reccomended by them for my HP goals) the next step is billet flexplate.

take a look at suncoast or DTT for the kits they have that address all the little problem parts like band struts, accumulators, and anchors

1 - 5 of 5 Posts