Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
figured i d ask,,,,,,can u take your truck to a cummins dealer and get more power,than using these aftermarket programmers..........the reason im askin is that my bros cousin is a big rig mechanic and said that my cummins is the same that is in the big rigs,,,and to eliminate my BullyDog and to take my truck to cummins.......how true is this

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Your engine is def not the same as a big rig, they are like straight 12's or something like that.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Your bro's cousin is wrong! Big rigs engines can be twice the size of ours, or more.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im no xpert on the cummins ,,,thats y i posted this,,,,,,,,,he had said something bout it being an I-6???????......idk??????,,,,he asked me if it was the 5.7,,,,,i said no its a 5.9......i thought 5.7 was a gasser,,,but what do i know

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have never heard of an inline12 but I do know most of the trucks use inline 6's but they are much bigger displacement.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
im no xpert on the cummins ,,,thats y i posted this,,,,,,,,,he had said something bout it being an I-6???????......idk??????,,,,he asked me if it was the 5.7,,,,,i said no its a 5.9......i thought 5.7 was a gasser,,,but what do i know
it sounds like you know more than your cousins brother or whatever!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Your engine is def not the same as a big rig, they are like straight 12's or something like that.
Certiainly not inline 12's. Most are inline 6 engines, some of the older rigs had differant configurations, from inline 6 to v8 to v12, but never an inline 12.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A lot of the over the road truck run 8.3L Cummins with different electronic controls that can be adjusted like he told you.... Ours are different. I have seen "lot" trucks that run the same 5.9L that we have but they are just for moving trailers around a yard.... Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
a 26,000 GVW and under truck will sometimes have a 5.9 but mainly they are 8.3's. 5.9's and 8.3's are in mainly box trucks or small flatbeds.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Wow. Maybe I can set a few things straight. I am a licensed HD mechanic and trained on cummins for the highway trucks. Cummins has many different engine sizes for their highway vehicles. The most popular now is the ISX it is a 14 ltr inline six. After that they have the ISB and ISM 8.3 ltr the M11 and of course the 5.9 and 6.7. What I your friend was talking about was the Cummins insight program and Incal disks. Every 4 months Cummins releases updated software disks for each engine. They have calibration codes that you have to follow to install the right software. There are different calibrations in the incal disks for different HP ranges but I have never installed them in any truck. Of course I worked for a dealer and would have been in trouble if I started messing around. I do know that the Incal disks do have the 5.9 programs in them. I doubt that you would get the same results as with a programmer though. The different calibrations are for different applications such as stationary engines and different transmission set ups. They release these programs to eliminate software glitches and improve fuel economy and such. They are not designed for retuning to gain power as your programmers are.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I 2nd billw's comment and would only like to add to it a little... as far as I know, with the big truck engines they pretty much do the same as we do to get more power...bigger injectors, bigger turbos, and adjusting the timing/fuel duration when the bring them in...That's the beauty of diesels..you just add a little more fuel and some more air to burn it and boom, you've got yourself more power...although that will always be limited by the size of the engine itself..cuz the displacement can only make so much boom.

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
taking it to cummins will likely get you told to F-off (in a polite way :D)

It is illegal to 'tamper' with an emissions controlled engine and they will be the last guys to do it for ya.

Even if they wanted to, like mentioned above they might be able to recalibrate the ECM, but its not going to be a 800hp calibration. Just something of the same power level that may have some better running characteristics.

But.... Say you had an engine that was calibrated for a low hp application (say the 133hp version), in theory if you could try using the calibrations for a 350hp engine and see what happens...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thnx for the info guys,,,,now when stated about the inline 6,,,,,,i guess thats where he was sayin the I-6

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Yes I-6 = Inline 6 but you should still assume he knows basically nothing.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
136 Posts
They can be sleeved though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts