Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard back from the dealer and 6 months after replacing all the injectors on my '05 I had to repace two more! This time instead of telling me it's due to 'bad gas' they said my truck idles too much. I bought the truck for the power and mileage as I don't pull anything more than my dirtbike which they said also adds to the carbon build-up on the injectors. As for the idling, I don't leave the truck running unnecessarily and only really idle during trafic or after driving down th highway. Dealer says I need to haul something heavy and get the RPM's up.

Any ideas on the validity to any of this? It's all been under warranty but don't know how long this will last.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
He is correct you need to work the engine and heat it up to burn off the carbon that can and will built up on the injectors from only being driven around town. One way to heat it up is to hook up to a 5,000+ lb trailer and drive it for a 4 or more hours non stop. FYI, A diesel engine was made to work hard all day long pulling loads and not be driven as a daily driver to and from work in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
That "bad gas" is probably ULSD making your injectors stick as well. Put an additive in your fuel as well to lube the injectors.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
FYI, A diesel engine was made to work hard all day long pulling loads and not be driven as a daily driver to and from work in stop and go traffic.
What about cars powered by diesel engines? They weren't made to pull.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
No and the engines on cars are not set up the same way as diesel engines in trucks either. With that said, no engine, diesel or gas, should be idled longer then needed to warm up.

Since I don't tow all that much, I just drive really hard especially when hopping on the on ramps of the interstate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Outside of throwing a 5k lb trailer on the truck and running it down the road will wrapping it up a bit more on the on-ramps and the like do it?

As far as additives I use the Power Diesel throughout the year (winter and summer blends accordingly).

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
521 Posts
injectors

I would do a search on using 2-stroke oil..for a cost effective lube, works for me... almost 102,000 miles and no new injectors. I have been using the 2-stroke religously for the last 35,000 miles. I rarely tow, but I drive 150 to 300 miles a day traveling to job sites. I am lucky to have steep grades in my neck of the woods, when I come to them I push the go-peddle more than it needs to work the engine...good thing I don't pay for my fuel:woot:

·
Registered
161 Posts
A tech at the dodge dealer told me that he went on a training siminar and that the only product that would get a diesel to meet the the emissions test of severial states was filtakleen. It will actually clean the carbon off the injectors . I was joing to have my injectors pulled and cleaned, that was his advice. I personaly would just run 1 gal of bio every tank. It is like knight and day on my truck. REfering to the injector noise and the rattling noise the motot makes with out it. my 2 cents

·
Registered
434 Posts
i wouldnt say that idling your engine to long would be true. I had a 2004 that i traveled in all the time, i would let it sit and idle for hours at night while i slept in it. Never had a single problem. Semi's do this all the time. A good friend of mine has an 05 that had the same exact problem. They told him the same thing, but he never let it idle for very long, and he towed a trailer regularly.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Outside of throwing a 5k lb trailer on the truck and running it down the road will wrapping it up a bit more on the on-ramps and the like do it?

As far as additives I use the Power Diesel throughout the year (winter and summer blends accordingly).

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
It depends on a lot of things. How dirty is your fuel, how often do you let it idle and so on. My truck is an 04 and I am military so I spend a lot of time on base driving fairly slow. I have no problems with my truck and I idle for a good 15-20 min a day in the winter time. I drive harder then the average person but not terribly so and I get on the throttle hard when getting on the interstate. So far I have no problems. Also I have been adding 2 stroke oil at every fill up with no ill effects. I used to use the same stuff as you but never really felt it justified the cost when 2 cycle works as well.

You don't have to hook up a trailer to burn off the carbon. You DO have to do something though. For me, just getting hard on the pedal every now and then seems to work fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback. To clarify I don't spend a lot of time idling other than to cool the turbo after long hauls on the road or climbing through the mountains here in CO. I think the high idle rate as reported by the dealer is likely from in-town driving.

As far as using 2 stroke oil...do you use it during the winter as well as it doesn't have any anti-gel capability.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I am in the northern part of Utah just North of SLC. Contrary to belief it does get damn cold here. I run 2 cycle year round. I also plug my truck in every night and idle for 15-20 min every morning. I have not experienced any gelling at all. Most filling stations change to a diesel with anti gel additives already in the diesel so it's unlikely you will have any issues anyway unless it gets really really cold suddenly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts