Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this question before and still can not convince myself as what to do. I have a 3000 plus mile trip coming up and I will be over 26000 GVW. My truck pulls it really good but I get high EGT when pulling hills and then the Edge defuels. I have it set at 1350, but it hits 1400 plus. I slow down and down shift trying to lower the EGT. It will take 2 or 3 minutes to start to come down, and I have lost my momentum. The boost is around 35. I run the Edge on 2 or 3 and see no difference on the EGT. I have run on stock setting and will still see 1350 EGT, but it does take longer. My trip is up through Canada into Alaska and service is little to nonexistent. I have thought about going to 5" exhaust, but my muffler shop guy says it will do very little to help and others have told me the same, on the other hand a couple of guys have said the 5" will help. Do not want to spent the $700 on something I'm not sure of. The water injection has been talked about, again not sure it would help with my EGT. Any thoughts, first hand experience or advice would be appreciated.:confused013:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT Some one has to have an opinion or experience :confused013:

·
Registered
305 Posts
No need to go to 5". It won't help your temps. You already have a non restrictive muffler, not sure if your cat is in place? Not that it made a huge difference on my truck. Maybe 50*? Hard to quantify.

The issue is that it's the nature of the 04.5 and up trucks to run super hot. They hit 1400* factory. The Edge on my truck always just made EGT's go up. So much so that it was pointless for me to try to use it while towing anything over 10k. I switched to a programmer and haven't looked back.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. But hey, Bob Wagner has a 30 day money back guarantee on the Smarty and Smarty Jrs... Why not scope out a Jr to see how you like towing with that? EGT's will go down. Leave the edge in for gauges, and at a later date you can stack the 2 for more power. Win Win. And if you hate it, he will give your money back within the 30 days? Can't beat that. Probably worth a 200* egt reduction just going to a Smarty over the Edge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
White do you have contact info for Bob Wagner. I know nothing about the Smarty, have read many post where it was refered to but no discription on how it works or how it is installed. If you or anyone else has contact info on Wagner please let me know. THANKS:confused013:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts