Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much info on these out there. I just bought one to replace my shifter mount switch that is rattling and driving me nuts.

Anyone ever installed one before and give a little more direction on which wires to cut? Instructions Say the red and yellow coming across firewall that split and go towards the cab and the other side towards the ecm plug on the block. I think I’ve found them, but mine are combined with a green wire and I want to confirm before I start cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep this is exactly what i was looking for. thanks!

I'm going from the shifter mounted switch to a dash mounted switch.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just realized the typo in the title to this post...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I ended up buying a new billet switch instead of hacking apart the complete dash mount switch I have. Problem is, the shifter switch I am replacing has four wires. I’m not sure which one goes where as the instructions with the MOPAR switch only discuss replacing the whole harness, so no coverage of the wiring. Here’s what I’m looking at: the shifter switch disassembled, the new switch wiring diagram, and the new switch.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any clues on which wires go where/do what on the old switch?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the push pull shifter switch apart. The black and red wires close together when the exhaust brake is on and the green and yellow close when the brake is on. Trouble I’m having now (maybe I’m just being an idiot) is that this billet switch appears to be able to control two circuits but on in the configuration that one is on and the other is off. Looking at that wiring I can figure out how to have both come on and off at the same time.

Anyways, here are some photos on the internals of the shifter mounted switch:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update- I jumpered the red and black wires together and then green and yellow together. the exhaust brake comes on, but then the red and black wires get really hot and the motor dies. I've determined that the little circuit board in the shifter mounted switch just does more than on off. there appear to be some little resistors of some sort. This makes sense, particularly as the "retro-fit" kit I bought has a 3 wire switch and the instructions call for replacing the whole harness when changing from the shifter mount switch to the dash mount. I can't really figure it out beyond that.

New plan is to replace the whole harness, as per the instructions in the MOPAR/Jacobs kit, and then use my new billet switch in lieu of the less cool looking Mopar/Jacobs dash switch. Stayed tuned.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update- got my new exhaust brake custom order switch working. For those in the future doing this same thing- a relay, like the one provided in the retro fit kit is critical. So to wire the whole exhaust brake you are using two relays.

Reactions: tryNto and Loki223

·
Trying to learn
5,888 Posts
Good to hear.

Reactions: rghavana
1 - 11 of 11 Posts