Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 2 left outers listed part number es3624 and es800532.

Anyone know which one is the right one? I have an 07 3500 4x4.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just ordered mine left outer today from Oreilleys, but I did it at the store and they helped me select the right one. I got a 2500, so.Im not sure if they'll be the same. I plan to replace tied rod, make sure its properly aligned with the knuckle, and skip the dealer recall...

·
Registered
656 Posts
A number of posts on this forum have indicated steering / wandering problems with the Moog ball joints, altho one guy said his works fine - he polished up the sockets with something like a sanding roll, etc. He said many of those problems are caused because without polishing up the sockets they fit so tight - must make them bind or something.

Many guys recommended the Raybestos Pro ball joints as a very good yet not high cost alternative. That's what I put on mine a couple hundred miles ago. Steering is perfect.

Amazon.com: Raybestos 500-1117 Professional Grade Suspension Ball Joint: Automotive

·
Registered
12 Posts
One is for the clamp-on style steering stabilizer and one is for the pin-thru type. I don't remember which is which, but rockauto.com had them both listed and said which one was for which steering setup - I was looking at them a few days ago.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can one tie rod end be replaced without replacing the other side? I know you are mentioning ball joints. Same concern with Moogs?

·
Registered
727 Posts
My moogs were shot in 30,000 miles ,chose thuren this time:thumbsup:should have started there in the first place:banghead:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ill give the Raybestos tie rod a try. Just replacing the left outer one to get rid of the OEM trash that may break...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I was going with Moog because I seen them at a good price on rock auto. I just looked but did not see any raybestos ball joints for my specific truck.

Where can I find them?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I went to rockauto website to get the part number, then ordered it from amazon for cheaper and no shipping..

·
Registered
656 Posts
2007 DODGE RAM 3500 PICKUP Ball Joint

You have to scroll down on that Rock Auto Page, and be sure to choose either the regular non-adjustable, or adjustable, or offset (I suppose for use with lift kits).
You have to carefully read the entire description. The shop that put mine in said they were glad I didn't get the adjustable, I guess can make alignment difficult which of course has to be done afterwards.

For standard non-adj / non-offset, on a 4x4 with gear steering I read 5001117 upper and 5051311 lower for the Raybestos Pro's.

Depending on the miles, but on an 07 you most likely want to replace the front axle outer U joints while everything is apart unless they're fairly new, or at least check them out very carefully. With U joints & alignment, the labor came to about $500. Quite a difficult job from what everyone says cuz they're awfully tight and it takes a real heavy duty ball joint tool to do it, and even then it's a PITA.

Several guys on this forum recommended not to mess with the front axle seals unless they're leaking. Very delicate job and an inexperienced shop that hasn't done a bunch of them can very easily damage the new ones so they leak. Also some expensive specialized tools as I understand it. Have read of several trucks with well over 200k with original seals and no or very minor seepage. Mine has 180 and no leaks or seeps at all.

Good luck!

Oh, I saved over $80 on just the ball joints from Amazon over what I could buy them for from the local chain parts houses, and actually only Advanced even stocked them. I offered the install shop some extra to make up for what they'd normally make on parts markup. Keeps em happy, more likely to do a good careful job. And still saved a bunch!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks macx. I am gonna change them myself because of and extremly tight budget. I only have 72k on the truck but will check everything out while i have it apart. Will also be replacing tie rods if I have the extra cash. If not they will be next on the list

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
656 Posts
I saw a pretty sturdy looking ball joint tool set on ebay for about $100 but I've been told you can borrow or rent the tools, too, i.e. from maybe AutoZone, even without buying the parts there. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find someplace with an online Search where you could rent them.

My daughter & family just moved from Alexandria LA to Brooklyn (job of course). Son in law from S Ill originally and has never been in any real snow. Bet he's havin' fun lately!

Good luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I ordered what I thought to be the right Raybestos part number. It wasnt. Ended up installing the MOOG tie rod end this morning. Piece of cake install. Ill still take it in when the dealer calls for the recall, but in the meantime, some peace of mind the thing wont break at 65mphthe pulling a 5th wheel..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts