Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced entire front end of my truck last year at this time. I used moog thinking they were still a reputable company. Well apparently not! $800 down the drain and i only got 12,000 miles on them 馃憥馃徑馃槧馃槧

So what is a good brand that won't break the bank?

Registered
what parts specifically? lot of parts in the front end that can be replaced :).

I made the same mistake originally with my truck. I won't buy moog anything if I can help it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Ball joints. Track bar. All the steering components besides pitman arm and steering box

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
What brand do you recommend?

Registered
Ball Joints I chose EMF. Adjustable and very well made. They are also on truck rebuildable but I think they said they still haven't sold a rebuild kit yet. Carli and Dynatrack are the other two big names. Higher price plus not on truck rebuildable like EMF made it an easy choice for me.

Trackbar I went Carli, but can't go wrong with Carli or Thuren. At the time Carli was easier for me to get my hands on. Do recommend buying the 16mm hardware at the same time since it doesn't cost but like $20-30 and the drill bit and upgrading.

Steering Linkage I have the mopar one now. I've been wanting to upgrade but still haven't decided myself. Read mixed reviews on Synergy's linkage. Dodge Offroad has some really nice kits. Been some recent threads on these, worth digging up and reading.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
My buddy swears by EMF and Synergy.i had to weld a washer on my mount cuz the hole was egged out. At the time i didnt know about the bigger bolt upgrade. EMF has sold a rebuild kit yet? They really that good? Thanks for the input. I'm going to look some up. Hopefully the money spent is worth it.

Registered
EMF is adjustable once it starts to get play you just tighten the collar and move on with life.

Registered
So are Dynatracs.
Unless something changed that I missed, they don't have the replaceable race which was what I originally mentioned. So while you can adjust them, eventually they need the entire body replaced. EMF have a replaceable race. Plus they cost a few hundred less than dynatracs.

You can buy a set of EMF + an entire rebuild kit for less than a set of dynatracs.

Edit: If you can find a set. Guess the fire + Covid really did a number on them. They are sold out again. CJ Off-road is where I got them last time they were sold out. They had a few kits in stock.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Man thus covid is crazy. In my little town we just got our first case last week. Now we are up to 17. Started when a guy from Florida came up on vacation

Reactions: nosympathy

Registered
Unless something changed that I missed, they don't have the replaceable race which was what I originally mentioned. So while you can adjust them, eventually they need the entire body replaced. EMF have a replaceable race. Plus they cost a few hundred less than dynatracs.

You can buy a set of EMF + an entire rebuild kit for less than a set of dynatracs.

Edit: If you can find a set. Guess the fire + Covid really did a number on them. They are sold out again. CJ Off-road is where I got them last time they were sold out. They had a few kits in stock.
I'm just going by the shop's experience. One of the guys told me they can snug them up a bit. They have them coming in with 100K all the time and tight. The EMF's look great. I got in on a group buy and rebates for Dynatrac bj's and free spins one year.

Registered
I'm just going by the shop's experience. One of the guys told me they can snug them up a bit. They have them coming in with 100K all the time and tight. The EMF's look great. I got in on a group buy and rebates for Dynatrac bj's and free spins one year.
Not bad mouthing Dynatracs btw. Just by comparison the EMF is a better bang for the buck. I know they can be adjusted a good amount, but you are still wearing the housing which means they will need pressed out/in again someday. Some of it definitely depends on what kind of roads and stuff you drive on. Highway miles are going to be very forgiving compared to say me driving 2 miles minimum a day on a potholed gravel drive. I end up being pretty rough on stuff because of that.

Registered
With the exchange rate they are a good deal.
Despite the highest gas taxes in America our roads in California resemble driving offroad everyday.:) Not really but I get your point.

Registered
I have carli ball joints in my truck. Unfortunately I wasn鈥檛 keeping notes back when I installed them , but I have to have well over 100k on them with
34.5 tall tires that weight 70 pounds . Plus wheels with a -12 offset . So far they are holding up. I also have the mopar 8.5 steering linkage. It has close to 100k, but the part that connects the two tires together was replaced in a recall.

Back in the day dad put moog ball joints on his truck . They only lasted 20k and were shot . Started to cause his brand new tires to wear . I鈥檝e hear that moog went the way that so many companies go. They moved manufacturing to the country that鈥檚 responsible for Covid-19 . He switched to carli and hasn鈥檛 had a problem since .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
That negative an offset strains the bearings and bj's. You've had good luck.

Registered
Rebuilt the entire front end at about 120k. Ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, track bar, end links, shocks, springs, and brakes. All steering stuff replaced with moog because it wasn鈥檛 an expected rebuild and that鈥檚 all we could find in stock. Sitting at about 190k now and there鈥檚 definite slop. Local ma n pop garage only charges $40 OTD for a dually rotation and balance check so I鈥檒l gladly support local business for that rate. Especially when they inspect the front end for me and lube the chassis while they鈥檙e under it. Not quite needing replacement yet but the shocks are on the way out already (bilstein 5100). Said maybe another 10-15, 20k if I play real nice, before we鈥檒l be needing to tap into the stack of synergy boxes in my garage and order those EMF ball joints we鈥檝e been talking about.

Tapatalk has failed the upload twice but google image search 鈥済as tax and diesel tax January 2017鈥. California doesn鈥檛 even make top five anymore. But at number seven there鈥檚 still no excuse for bad roads other than gross misappropriation of taxes. Louisiana is horrible for that too. Here they stick everything in the welfare budget to buy votes rather than fix things used by people who actually pay taxes like state highways, bridges etc. We don鈥檛 have county or local roads or public works departments anymore since the whole drinking age debacle and they all got turned over to the state. West Virginia had the same problem except they decided not to waste or abuse the money when they raised drinking age and got their federal highway dollars back so their roads are gorgeous now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
That negative an offset strains the bearings and bj's. You've had good luck.
Yeah Ive been lucky, Ive only had to replace the drivers side wheel bearing and here not long ago the u-joints . I have no idea what u-joints they were. they were on the truck when I got them. I kept them greased and they kept lasting but man did they fling the grease every where.. I replaced them with dana splicer non- grease able joints.

Registered
Mopar on the steering components. XRF ball joints. 40k and holding strong. And although I have a Carli trackbar, wish I'd gone with this because it is adjustable on the truck. Carli is a pain to adjust, has to be removed.

Registered
Replaced entire front end of my truck last year at this time. I used moog thinking they were still a reputable company. Well apparently not! $800 down the drain and i only got 12,000 miles on them 馃憥馃徑馃槧馃槧

So what is a good brand that won't break the bank?
Dude you are making disparaging remarks about Moog without telling what happened to the parts. As a retired Moog Man I can tell you that if the parts are bad Moog will make them right. You can't make comments like that with qualifying the remarks. Grow up. They are a reputable company. Qualify your remarks. Maybe you abused the parts. Is that what happened? Did you buy Moog parts and install them your self or did someone install them and tell you they were Moog. If so did you see the Moog boxes? Tell the whole story.

Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
Ball Joints I chose EMF. Adjustable and very well made. They are also on truck rebuildable but I think they said they still haven't sold a rebuild kit yet. Carli and Dynatrack are the other two big names. Higher price plus not on truck rebuildable like EMF made it an easy choice for me.

Trackbar I went Carli, but can't go wrong with Carli or Thuren. At the time Carli was easier for me to get my hands on. Do recommend buying the 16mm hardware at the same time since it doesn't cost but like $20-30 and the drill bit and upgrading.

Steering Linkage I have the mopar one now. I've been wanting to upgrade but still haven't decided myself. Read mixed reviews on Synergy's linkage. Dodge Offroad has some really nice kits. Been some recent threads on these, worth digging up and reading.
X2 on everything listed here, i also have been hearing some discouraging things about DOR over the last couple years, so I personally wouldn't go with them

1 - 20 of 31 Posts