Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having one helluva hard time trying to get the "Comprehensive" Monitor to "Complete" on my 2001 California second gen truck. Dealer said to "Drive between 600 to 1200 miles. I have driven over 2,000 miles and it's still NOT "Completed". I am thinking I am on a wild goose chase !
Have also been on the Cummins Turbo Diesel Forums, and really haven't had any good ideas on to actually fix this problem.
Both batteries completely died, and lost it's memory. "Fuel" and "Fuel Misfire" HAVE completed, but NOT the Comprehensive.
Have done different Drive Cycles, to no avail. State has my registration money, but now the time has run out. Truck has only 85,000 miles.
I know state of California would love to see my ride 3" thick !!!
Can someone please point me in the right direction, or tell me some good advice ?
Thanks,
Peter

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
When your batteries died it just goes back to default settings which are factory settings, have you had your batteries tested to make sure they a fully charged and are holding the required voltage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Batteries were about 8 years old, and when put on test, then cranked engine, showed only 10.5 volts. Changes BOTH batteries,d with top of the line Napa Brand batteries. After installation, drove close to 250 miles, but the Comprehensive monitor did not "Complete".
Just returned from a 450 mile road trip, and still nothing has changed.
I am putting on UN-necessary mileage, AND using UN-necessary amounts of diesel. Out here in "The People's Republic of California", that product is very expensive !
After (Old) batteries died, I put a charge on them, let it charge overnight. Got in next morning and fired right up. NO CEL, NO DTC, or any warnings came on the instrumentation panel.
I have had a Banks Power pack kit, I installed about 20,000 + miles ago, and was always in the system. When the (dreaded) smog test would be needed, smog guy took note of the CARB sticker Banks provides (Basically CARB blessed it) and have NEVER had any issues before.
Another thing I did install was a Banks exhaust brake. It came with its only little computer module. Before the 450 mile round trip, I removed the Power Pack computer, to completely get it out of the system.
I am starting to believe Chrysler / Dodge knows they have a problem there, but will never own up to it, as the CORRECT WAY to fix it.
Thanks for your reply.
I have added a bit more info, so someone reading may have another idea.
Peter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it passed !
I installed a Banks engine exhaust brake. Someone, somewhere, mentioned, "Remove the plug from the little controller unit from where is is mounted, under the dash, next to the steering wheel."
The only thing I did differently :Removed the plug, and drove it for, maybe 6 miles. Came home, and just for $hits and grins, checked with the code reader, and Wa-la, "All monitors completed" ! I damn near kissed the truck !
So, another fuel efficient oil engine saved from "Those people" at the Bay Area Air Quality Management Board !
Remember this if a fellow CTD owner is having problems with (Those damn ) Monitors !
Thanks to you all who tried to help.
Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts