Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Money to spend

1339 17
Alright I have around $700.00 to spend on my truck. I already have a EGT Gauge just needs to be installed. I'm thinking head studs ARP 2000's. Or should I sell the smarty sr and use money to spend and money from sell to buy a mini max? I hate the hunting transmission drives me nuts. Any other parts that you guys can think of let me know. Remember I only have $700. Thanks:party018:
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kinda what I'm thinking. Could do studs now then get mini max down the road.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you've already got an EGT gauge, then sell your Smarty, buy an XRT Pro, and Overdrive Transmission unlock. The XRT Pro runs the exact same tunes as a MiniMaxx, is now MCC capable, and costs less, and you unplug it once the tune is fully downloaded to the trucks' ECM. You just don't have the gauges or ability to change power levels on the fly.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I need a little more help is their a certain year of the XRT Pro's that can't custom tunes? Because that's why I wanna change. How do you tell if there locked or not looking at a used one.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about EFI Live. A friend was just telling me that they have a good tune for the 6.7.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The XRT Pros became MCC capable just by updating the firmware. Make sure you're looking at a "XRT Pro", not the old plain "XRT" (which I don't even think works with the 6.7L).

I'd think all XRT Pro tuners will work, you just need to make sure if you look for one (or even a MiniMaxx) that it's a Race tuner which have "emissions removed" tuning pre-installed, or a Street tuner that has been unlocked with a code that allows it to run the "emissions removed" tuning.

It would be safest to look for a XRT Pro Race #109005 or MiniMaxx Race #109003. If looking at used, get the seller to take a PIC of it plugged in & on the Info screen. The "Status" should say "Returned to Stock" which tells you it is properly uninstalled. And if I remember correctly it should list the Part # on the same screen. A lot of people list the racing part numbers in their ads but the pic of the box has the street version part number. Just be cautious.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the ad description. (H&S XRT Pro Run code free! Programmer comes with Dodge 2007.5-2012 CAT/DPF delete pipe. Works with Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and GMC. This programmer with work with 5.9 Dodge Diesel engines also. A rare find these days! Call or text with questions) How much is MCC unlock and OD tune?:confused013:

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
I'd do the Mini now, trans will thank you for the tuning.
To the OP, the above statement is really what you will find is the main take-away from this thread. H&S is the only tuner to address the transmission end of the tuning.

Is the one you found a used unit? You can power it up with your laptop and check if its unlocked. Many I found on craiglist claimed to be unlocked... yet when I show up with my laptop in hand, the tune changed and all of a sudden they "weren't really sure" if it was unlocked. Dang scammers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK good to know. If its used and had MCC tunes already on it do I have to buy them again?

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
OK good to know. If its used and had MCC tunes already on it do I have to buy them again?

If they are locked, then they will have the wrong VIN in them. If they are unlocked I would caution you from using them anyway unless you have them reviewed by someone that knows what they are looking at. We don't want you loading some Frankenstein tune and messing something up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.