Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to the site and am looking for advice on performance modules / downloaders. I have an 04.5 2500 that is my daily driver and I occasionally tow a 26' race trailer with. My main goal is fuel economy along with a HP increase. I don't want to jeprodize my warranty or throw any codes. I was leaning towards the Edge Milage Max but after talking to them they thought the EZ would be a better choice since it has the three different settings. I have seen some posts on Quadzilla, Diablo Power Puck, and Samrty. I am looking for information good or bad. Thanks in advance for your time.

:beer

·
Banned
516 Posts
smarty all the way!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
smarty is a good pkg. mine is an 02 but i use the 1 setting and it gets xtra 1.5 mpg...but i cant vouch for the new gen. look up bob wagner on here for info or search smarty..youll findplenty to read. the other benefit is after ya stop and reprogram it you can race the truck in another class in between.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do a search on stackiing and you will find a large list that tells the different uses. smarty is very good.but i wont buy one until i do afull up grade. I wouldn't be able to keep it low!!!! I had bought a edge ez .It was easy to put in and pull out. By accident i found out my dealer would not work on any diesel that had any velcro due to being sued or atemped to sue. So i electical tape it to the battery cable.easy on easy off. do some extra research take your time and do what is best for you.

·
All around nice guy
52 Posts
I have the Quad DXZT2 box, older version. Good mileage gain, great power, very simple install (took about 10 minutes). Only 1 setting, but it works, so why change it?

Nice this about the Quad boxes is that the new ones can be updated, and also you can get programs that are designed for stacking, so you can get a programmer later...

More power, better mileage, simple install, all for under $300...

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I have the Quad DXZT2 box, older version. Good mileage gain, great power, very simple install (took about 10 minutes). Only 1 setting, but it works, so why change it?

Nice this about the Quad boxes is that the new ones can be updated, and also you can get programs that are designed for stacking, so you can get a programmer later...

More power, better mileage, simple install, all for under $300...

i agree 100%, you really can't beat that unit based on price that will give you those results. it's a very safe unit for towing and will still put you back in the seat when changing lanes.

here is a review from our site

awesome power and economy (Anonymous)
i've been beta testing this unit for about a month now and i'm very impressed. since putting this unit on while towing my 42' 5th wheel i've seen almost another 3-4 mpg and no problems. which i was surprised at being this is just their test unit i have. i've used quadzilla stuff on my chevy and love their products and when they contacted me to test this one i jumped all over it. i would highly recommend this to any one looking for anything from power to economy or both. i'm very happy w/ mine and i know you will be too!!

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I'm fairly new to the site and am looking for advice on performance modules / downloaders. I have an 04.5 2500 that is my daily driver and I occasionally tow a 26' race trailer with. My main goal is fuel economy along with a HP increase. I don't want to jeprodize my warranty or throw any codes. I was leaning towards the Edge Milage Max but after talking to them they thought the EZ would be a better choice since it has the three different settings. I have seen some posts on Quadzilla, Diablo Power Puck, and Samrty. I am looking for information good or bad. Thanks in advance for your time.

If your warranty is the biggest concern then I would not do any form of electronic fuel mods. JMHO. A simple cat back exhaust and intake can help the mpg.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for taking the time to reply with your thoughts I do appreciate it!!!! I'll keep looking into this a little deeper.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your warranty is the biggest concern then I would not do any form of electronic fuel mods. JMHO. A simple cat back exhaust and intake can help the mpg.
rufushusky, The warranty is a concern, maybe not the biggest but it's up there. I'm leaning towards the Smarty programer since they claim it leaves no footprint if returned to stock. Also as you mentioned I will probably do an intake and exhaust upgrade as well. Thanks for your thoughts.:thumbsup

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
might look into smarty jr. milder than the smarty, but still great power
Meyer,

I just picked up the Smarty Jr. and with the cash I saved going with the Jr. over the S-06 I also picked up a CFM+ intake to boot. I installed the intake, I wanted to see if it made a difference, which I think it has. I'll probably load the latest beta software for the Jr. before I load the code in the truck. :thumbsup

·
Registered
36 Posts
See the thread that I started

asking for a comparison between the Edge and Hypertech. I too am searching for the same results that you are.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
asking for a comparison between the Edge and Hypertech. I too am searching for the same results that you are.
My personal oppinion would be the Edge, though you may want to take a look at the Smarty Jr. I think it would blow the Hypertech in the weeds. :peelout

1 - 13 of 13 Posts