Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use Mobile 15w-40w in there trucks? I'm getting away from Rotella and found this for a good price.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
what in the he!! is wrong with rotella
Rotella is a cheap oil that to me doesn't protect as well as other oils, espically when you get into amsoil and royal purple. And personally i want my vehicles to last as long as possible so i run amsoil in everything, and it gains you mpg.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
I got Rotella synthetic in my truck now and it seems fine to me. AMSOIL, Mobil and royal purple are all great products too.

·
It's got 12 Valves...
5,009 Posts
I have ran AMSOIL, Mobile and Rotella in my trucks. I would say if you have the money for AMSOIL do it...but if not then I would say the best conventional oil to me is Mobil Delvac 15w-40 :thumbsup..just my opinion. If you have had good luck with Rotella, Mobile, Royal Purple or whatever then stick with it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what in the he!! is wrong with rotella
Well I've heard Rotella has removed more Zinc so I'm looking for something else, I don't drive my truck very much I have a company truck so I don't change my oil as much as some others. I'm also trying to get away from Shell as they are foreign owned.

B

·
0 Posts
wasnt trying to be rude i have 187950 on my 96 and never had any problems in my other 96 i sold it had 250000ish on it ran rotella in it as well just my choice yes amsoil purple are the #1 oils but i cant justify the $$

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
wasnt trying to be rude i have 187950 on my 96 and never had any problems in my other 96 i sold it had 250000ish on it ran rotella in it as well just my choice yes amsoil purple are the #1 oils but i cant justify the $$
my dad has an early 70's chain saw, had amsoil in it since brand new, i had to take it apart for a class and the hone markes were barely worn. so i justify the mpg gain and the fact that it protects on startup and harsher environments a ton better, and being diesels seeing 1300* i want an oil that will make the turbo last longer. that's just me tho.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I've been told Mobil 15w40 is what Dodge dealers have to use when doing warranty work on our trucks. I happen to be in the shop one day when a new tech was informed by the SM what oil had to be use for a truck he was working on. After hearing this I asked the head man in parts what oil they used and he said for warranty on the Cummins engine they have to use Mobil 15w40 (they also have to buy it directly from Dodge not Mobil) but for the quick lube they could use any cheap brand of 15w40 they want to.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
I have ran AMSOIL, Mobile and Rotella in my trucks. I would say if you have the money for AMSOIL do it...but if not then I would say the best conventional oil to me is Mobil Delvac 15w-40 :thumbsup..just my opinion. If you have had good luck with Rotella, Mobile, Royal Purple or whatever then stick with it.
Well put:thumbsup

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have ran Rotella in my 91 350 CTD since the first oil change for nearly 400k miles. In my 04 I use Amsoil 15w40 with no problems with either one. IMO, if it meets or exceeds specs and works for you, then do it ! You get what you pay for- cheap products equals cheap results !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts