Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve decided to order an MM3 tuner to help with fuel mileage on a stock 2004.5 dodge My question is there’s someone special to do the programs or should I just use the programs that come with the MM3 Thanks

·
Registered
981 Posts
The MM3 doesn’t come with any tunes. You will need to get someone to write some tunes for you.

2,700 Posts
The Smarty MM3 is one of the best programmers/monitors for the 2003-05 trucks.

As mentioned, the MM3 programmer does not include any programs at all, unlike the Smarty Touch.
You will need a vendor to write and send you program(s).

No custom program will increase fuel economy much if at all.

Here is another vendor with good info on their website: www.mm3tuning.com

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Smarty MM3 is one of the best programmers/monitors for the 2003-05 trucks.

As mentioned, the MM3 programmer does not include any programs at all, unlike the Smarty Touch.
You will need a vendor to write and send you program(s).

No custom program will increase fuel economy much if at all.

Here is another vendor with good info on their website: www.mm3tuning.com
would I be better off to get the smarty touch and would it help fuel mileage

·
Registered
816 Posts
No, there's not much price difference between an MM3 with custom tunes and the touch. The Smarty touch tunes are general tunes, not custom. I believe they are the same as what you get on the Smarty SR, which are powerful, but very smokey and outdated. Custom tunes are in a whole different ballpark nowadays. It makes zero sense to get box/general tunes anymore.

2,700 Posts
would I be better off to get the smarty touch and would it help fuel mileage

You keep mentioning fuel mileage. IMO, a US$800+ programmer will never recoup itself in fuel savings.

·
Trying to learn
6,232 Posts
You keep mentioning fuel mileage. IMO, a US$800+ programmer will never recoup itself in fuel savings.
What he said.

Driving style and lower mph = better mpg.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Agreed. Tuning is for fun, not really mpgs. Custom tuning your right foot is the most important thing for MPG.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agreed. Tuning is for fun, not really mpgs. Custom tuning your right foot is the most important thing for MPG.
And towing.... made a world of difference on my ‘05 towing in the hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
We don’t have these trucks for fuel mileage. We have them for work and play. If you’re dead set on mileage, yes custom tuning will help to a degree, but your right foot and proper maintenance will be best.

·
Registered
324 Posts
What is the better option MM3 or HPT?

·
Registered
816 Posts
The MM3 has switch on the fly which is really nice. HPTuners has it through one vendor, optimal welding. I have HPTuners through that company and couldn’t be happier.

One of the big draw backs for me was the monitor that comes with the MM3. Its not expandable with anything other than EGT and I think looks like an ancient scientific calculator. I really wanted fuel pressure, drive pressure and also have trans temp and oil temp. I didn’t want a monitor and a bunch of analog gauges, so the edge cts2 with HPTuners is the best route for me.

There are more vendors for MM3 out there, and some bigger names like PDD and calibrated power who aren’t going anywhere. If I was doing it over again, I would think really really hard about going with POwer Driven Diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts