Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Pictured above a our 2002 VP44 Test Rig. Learning about the highly anticipated MM3 tuning from smarty seemed to raise a lot of eyebrows. Seems to have a wide support from 98.5 to current cummins platforms. Knowing the VP crowd have had some less than friendly tuning options seems to be a great avenue to investigate. The plan here is simple. Take the new tuning software/hardware and run it on a stock as stock can get VP44 truck. Do small bolt on's compare it to the SO3 canned programming to the more tailored custom tuning. Then add the goodies some common bigger injectors, bigger turbochargers and see if we can control smoke output and improve overall drivability of these 16 year old trucks.

One of the biggest questions is pump tap capabilities. At the moment MM3 or the smarty UDC Pro is not offering this option. However we are going to explore a couple different avenues and will provide all the results along the way......Stay tuned!:stirpot:

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Anxiously awaiting real results...allowing US to make the changes should make wiretap fueling almost irrelevant.

·
Registered
276 Posts
In for this one

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Btw, sweet truck there. Love it! I wish I could find a set of those OEM dodge dually simulators

Can't wait to see you're results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
837 Posts
Very interested to see what you guys find!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Subd for the witchcraft

·
Registered
179 Posts
Lee Allgood @ LJC Performance, we Tuned out my 2001.5 truck this weekened. Truck runs incredible, glad to have gotten away from wire tap fueling. Truck runs awesome!
even down to the idle. no more clack clack clacking like ole 24v, just a nice smooth idle. great power all the way thru

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Do you have any data logging from the tune? What is timing doing? The smarty orginally had a very aggressive timing map, so I would be curous how much they defered from that.

A question about mm3 vs the udc tuning. are more tables open for editing?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you have any data logging from the tune? What is timing doing? The smarty orginally had a very aggressive timing map, so I would be curous how much they defered from that.

A question about mm3 vs the udc tuning. are more tables open for editing?

i dont have any data logging at this time. But i will, we were messing with it late last night and i had to get on the road and get home.
the power band was smooth all the way.

MADS Electronics - Smarty - User Defined CaTCHER - Download

that is where you can download the demo for the MM3. however you/your tuner need a dongle in order to unlock all the features and be able to save any files.

alot of it is close to EFI

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Yea I have already looked at that stuff. Neat, but it appears that there are numerous tables that are not in the software, such as base timing tables, that would be very helpful to see when tuning. Does the dongle unlock more tables than what are in the demo?

I will be curious to see the data logging and see how your tunes changes compare to the S03 tunes vs what OEM tuning is doing.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Yea I have already looked at that stuff. Neat, but it appears that there are numerous tables that are not in the software, such as base timing tables, that would be very helpful to see when tuning. Does the dongle unlock more tables than what are in the demo?

I will be curious to see the data logging and see how your tunes changes compare to the S03 tunes vs what OEM tuning is doing.
The demo does have the base timing tables. They are labeled Inj. Timing Steady State, and Inj. Timing Transient. Unless I misunderstood your question?

Paul

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
The timing numbers in those two tables don't add up to what a reasonable timing would be.

Take cruise state, 1500 rpm ~%25 load.

OEM timing is at ~16-18* there
Smarty so3 is at ~20* there

the two tables in the udc shows ( I might be missing something, but just looking at the map on those two)
steady state of 1.29

trans state of -1.52

The ECT max timing looks right sO i must be reading something wrong.

What am I missing here? I need education on this haha.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This might be a dumb question but is the smarty touch a completely different tuner than the s03? If i wanted to upgrade to this would my s03 do me anygood at all? Does this tuner go through the obd2 port or is it something different?

·
Registered
178 Posts
wouldnt it be nice if Brian or someone would chime in on this and give us a run down of what we're looking at. You know...Help sell their product; instead of "hey here it is, have fun figuring it out..."

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
I dont recall smarty ever really SELLING their product...it is always left to the guys whontest and tune with it.

I think quad is leading the game right now, and they know that letting the info out is selling their product.

Curious to see the outcome of this, as i think the tuning options (or more parameters) is making the wire tap fueling needs more and more pointless.

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
I dont recall smarty ever really SELLING their product...it is always left to the guys whontest and tune with it.

I think quad is leading the game right now, and they know that letting the info out is selling their product.

Curious to see the outcome of this, as i think the tuning options (or more parameters) is making the wire tap fueling needs more and more pointless.
I think wiretap still has it's place, but it is less inmportant when it comes to DD duties. Tylers truck made 500 hp on canbus only, but made over 600 hp with wiretap. You can't argue that wiretap isn't needed to maximize the vp44. Injectors will only get you so far, people can't run much bigger than 6 x .013 regardless of tuning. The Resolution of fueling when you start talking about huge injectors gets smaller and smaller if you are limited to canbus tuning only.

This might be a dumb question but is the smarty touch a completely different tuner than the s03? If i wanted to upgrade to this would my s03 do me anygood at all? Does this tuner go through the obd2 port or is it something different?
The touch is %100 different than the s03. You need the touch setup or have your truck tuned by somoene with mm3.

I am still cruous if I am reading the timing maps incorrectly. I am not seeing anything that looks like base timing. Am I off base here? I don't claim tobe educated in how the udc stuff works.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am still cruous if I am reading the timing maps incorrectly. I am not seeing anything that looks like base timing. Am I off base here? I don't claim tobe educated in how the udc stuff works.

Dont get me lying to ya. Lee Allgood is a very experienced EFI LIVE tuner and once we started messing around with parameters on my truck, that is when everything started making sense to him. Me being a inexperienced in tuning, I only told him what my truck was doing and he would adjust accordingly.
We still have some work to do on it, he lives about 1:30 for me so gotta wait for a few weekends to dial it in fully.
Truck makes awesome power now without wire tap (just seat of the pants measuring), and the smoke/egts are in check!

·
Registered
179 Posts
wouldnt it be nice if Brian or someone would chime in on this and give us a run down of what we're looking at. You know...Help sell their product; instead of "hey here it is, have fun figuring it out..."
haha

Thats what Lee Allgood and I and CJ at MM3 are trying to do!

·
Registered
179 Posts

The thing is its not smarty.

It is MM3!

Reactions: ajmorales0889

·
Registered
323 Posts
even down to the idle. no more clack clack clacking like ole 24v, just a nice smooth idle.
What do you mean by this? Can MM3 utilize the vp44 2nd injection event?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts