Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this will not become "just another Tuning thread" because I know there are too many of those already. I'm going to make sure to only ask questions I have not been able to find answers to in this forum.

I am pretty much set on getting a MM3 with custom tunes from Anarchy Diesel. So my first question is does anyone have experience with these tunes? Are there better custom tunes available?

My next question is rather broad but I'll attempt to narrow it down. I intend to eventually do a full delete. One reason for the MM3 is I know that it has the capability to handle the deletes and the unlock. However as everyone knows, doing a full delete (the right way) is rather expensive. Is it worth spending the money on the tuning of engine and trans if I don't plan to delete right away? In other words, should I go head and get it tuned now knowing that I'll be deleting later?

Are there any issues with deleting gradually, like doing the EGR first?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Clayton @ DDP Motorsports
2022 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
4,583 Posts
I hope this will not become "just another Tuning thread" because I know there are too many of those already. I'm going to make sure to only ask questions I have not been able to find answers to in this forum.

I am pretty much set on getting a MM3 with custom tunes from Anarchy Diesel. So my first question is does anyone have experience with these tunes? Are there better custom tunes available?

My next question is rather broad but I'll attempt to narrow it down. I intend to eventually do a full delete. One reason for the MM3 is I know that it has the capability to handle the deletes and the unlock. However as everyone knows, doing a full delete (the right way) is rather expensive. Is it worth spending the money on the tuning of engine and trans if I don't plan to delete right away? In other words, should I go head and get it tuned now knowing that I'll be deleting later?

Are there any issues with deleting gradually, like doing the EGR first?

Hey bud, the MM3 platform is awesome and well worth it. Anarchy Diesel tunes are amazing and the customer service you will get are second to none! They are very active on this forum and are always willing to help.

· Registered
520 Posts
You'll want to delete & tune at the same time...can't really do one without the other.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
9,232 Posts
You don’t have to delete EGR valve
You don’t have to delete EGR cooler

The only thing you have to remove is the DPF/SCR. The other systems merely get turned off. There is no “deleting the right way”. It’s different for everyone. Some run emission intact tuning (leaving everything on truck). Some only delete DPF/SCR. Then there are those who remove everything they possibly can and then some (throttle valve, grid heater). I don’t quite understand the last group on why they remove essential items but hey to each it’s own I guess

And yes there are better tunes. HPP trans tune is far better than the rest and I’m seeing converts on a weekly basis make the switch.

Otherwise anarchy, HPP, PPEI, DRD...it’s about all the same really. Power is power. All of them have great customer service. But HPP’s trans tune is second to none. I preach this on a weekly basis but I mean no harm. Just answering your question and hopefully informing others out there don’t be afraid to come to the dark side... :grin2:

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll definitely look into those before I pull the trigger on the anarchy. At this point I'm considering waiting another month or so and just doing everything at once. I think it'll be easier to only have the truck down for one day and be done with it. I'm honestly looking more for fuel economy and no lag than I am for a ton of HP. I'm also probably going to delete the EGR so that junk doesn't continue going through the system. I just hit 100k miles and I'd love to see the truck do at least that much more without needing any major repairs. Thanks for your help!

Btw it's a 2015 3500 SRW with a 3" lift and 35s

· Registered
9,232 Posts
I'll definitely look into those before I pull the trigger on the anarchy. At this point I'm considering waiting another month or so and just doing everything at once. I think it'll be easier to only have the truck down for one day and be done with it. I'm honestly looking more for fuel economy and no lag than I am for a ton of HP. I'm also probably going to delete the EGR so that junk doesn't continue going through the system. I just hit 100k miles and I'd love to see the truck do at least that much more without needing any major repairs. Thanks for your help!

Btw it's a 2015 3500 SRW with a 3" lift and 35s

Ask anarchy about shift flare and ask if his tuning removes it. Curious what he says..:grin2:

Fuel economy will be marginal. Yes it will improve but you’re already getting the best fuel economy in stock form believe it or not. Deleting and tuning adds a little. Maybe a couple MPG. Not trying to be a Debbie downer as I too deleted for the same reasons. Just don’t expect anything major. The 35’s on 3.42’s aren’t helping. I’m running 37’s on 3.42’s and getting new gears tomorrow.

When you tune your truck exhaust gasses stop flowing through your system. The tuners close that valve. So again, there’s no reason to delete everything under the hood unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and want to clean up the engine bay. Which, there’s nothing wrong with. I’ll do mine when I do my 2nd gen swap. But for now...I just leave it as is. One less part I have to find storage for in my garage...

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand. I'm only expecting 1-2 MPG improvement but as much as I drive even that will make a difference. The biggest change I hope to achieve is eliminating, or at least lessening, the diesel lag. The extra HP also won't hurt when I'm pulling the gooseneck either. But I am not expecting anything too crazy.

I do have another question. In your experience is there a difference between going with a turbo back exhaust system or just a delete pipe? Any advantages to a new system?

I do already have a 4" Dpf back that the previous owner installed.

· Registered
9,232 Posts
I understand. I'm only expecting 1-2 MPG improvement but as much as I drive even that will make a difference. The biggest change I hope to achieve is eliminating, or at least lessening, the diesel lag. The extra HP also won't hurt when I'm pulling the gooseneck either. But I am not expecting anything too crazy.

I do have another question. In your experience is there a difference between going with a turbo back exhaust system or just a delete pipe? Any advantages to a new system?

I do already have a 4" Dpf back that the previous owner installed.

Agreed. The added power is a PLUS! Feels great drives great. I’ll never go back to stock. As for added power while towing, my advice do NOT run anything higher than the lowest tune setting. I can’t tell you how many guys I’ve seen this year fry their transmission while towing. It’s not entirely the drivers fault as it is the added power being thrown at the transmission. Before you know it your slipping gears then soon after you’re looking for a rebuild. So in my experience, based on what I’ve learned from others over the years, keep it on the stock/lowest setting while towing. With the torque management already eliminated, you should be just fine towing under the lowest setting without having to add additional power. However if you do decide to drive with extra HP (level 2 on up) drive at your own risk. Tons of guys do it and are doing just fine. But you’re getting pretty close to the fire..how close do you wanna get before you get burned?

Exhaust-
Zero advantage. You’re not running high HP numbers so it makes no difference from a performance standpoint. However from an exhaust noise/tone standpoint the 5” will always sound deeper. Again, your truck do as you wish.

Few things to consider. If/when you decide to remove your EGR cooler... your exhaust, wether it’s 4” or 5”, will sound louder and drone more. The cooler acts as a sort of (on a minimal scale) heimholtz chamber. You’ll see what I mean once you do it. My advice. Rock the 4” for now and leave everything under the hood in tact. See how you like the sound. If you want it deeper..then the next, least expensive option, is remove cooler. Your exhaust note will noticeable change and get deeper. Still not enough? Replace 4” pipes with a complete 5” system.

My preference is 5” straight pipe turbo back with everything under the hood still in tact. This is my 3rd truck doing this to. I like having a 5” straight pipe with no drone. The second I remove my cooler my truck will sound loud...BBBWWWWWAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP. Then I’ll have to add a resonator and/or muffler. So in an effort to save money (for the time being) I’m leaving my cooler in place which will keep me from buying a resonator and muffler.

But that’s just me..

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In all reality I doubt I'll go any higher than an economy or level one tune even when I'm not towing. I have no interest in doing anything crazy with the power level because it's not worth the risk to me anyway. But the exhaust advise is great! I love a good tone but after driving gassers with crazy loud exhaust I'm getting used to a quieter truck. So for that reason I'll probably keep a moderate sound anyway. Thanks again!

· Registered
520 Posts
"You don’t have to delete EGR valve
You don’t have to delete EGR cooler

The only thing you have to remove is the DPF/SCR. "

Correct, don't have to remove EGR parts.

· Registered
110 Posts
Exhaust-
Zero advantage. You’re not running high HP numbers so it makes no difference from a performance standpoint. However from an exhaust noise/tone standpoint the 5” will always sound deeper. Again, your truck do as you wish.

Few things to consider. If/when you decide to remove your EGR cooler... your exhaust, wether it’s 4” or 5”, will sound louder and drone more. The cooler acts as a sort of (on a minimal scale) heimholtz chamber. You’ll see what I mean once you do it. My advice. Rock the 4” for now and leave everything under the hood in tact. See how you like the sound. If you want it deeper..then the next, least expensive option, is remove cooler. Your exhaust note will noticeable change and get deeper. Still not enough? Replace 4” pipes with a complete 5” system.

My preference is 5” straight pipe turbo back with everything under the hood still in tact. This is my 3rd truck doing this to. I like having a 5” straight pipe with no drone. The second I remove my cooler my truck will sound loud...BBBWWWWWAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP. Then I’ll have to add a resonator and/or muffler. So in an effort to save money (for the time being) I’m leaving my cooler in place which will keep me from buying a resonator and muffler.

But that’s just me..

This is some great information here. Knowing I will eventually delete later down the road, this answered quite a few exhaust/EGR delete questions I've had for some time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.