Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
missing dieing untill warmed up (solved)

2004 3500 SRW 2wd Flatbed 320K miles

been the perfect truck untill this fall (put a tranny in it @ 210K, unit bearings and [email protected] 250K, replaced the broken blend door) all it does is pulls a 10K# GN (all day every day)

this winter it has developed a cold idle issue, get in the truck, and start it.... it fires right up but will not idle.... feather the pedal to keep it running for 2-3 min and then it will idle at 500 jumping to 1000 rpm, dropping to 500 (and lower about to die) after a few minutes of this it will steady out at 750rpms and run fine all day, next morning same thing.

no codes, no idiot lights...

my initial thoughts are an injector is leaking down...
after some research maybe the cps...
rail pressure sensor...
fca...

where would you start ?

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
i dont suppose u have a RP gauge to see whats happening during the first 5 minutes? or a FP gauge?

that could help

and i think if it were the FCA it wouldnt smooth out after a little bit. im pretty sure when the stick ther done and u need a new one. not something that will kinda work

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no gauges on this truck (worktruck all stock)

thanks for the fca info

FWIW the in tank pump was replaced at 230K at the dealer

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well we drove it till it would only go 35 mph, took it to a local diesel mechanic, he said it had 21K# rail pressure at idle, replaced the rail pressure sensor and walah all is good again

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
thanks for the update yea 21K at idle is for sure too high glad u got it fixed

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just want to say this has been a great truck, had tranny rebuilt arround 200K, in tank pump replaced arround 220K, Unit bearings and TRE parts and shocks :) @ 250K now this 300K, the truck ans been driven hard by multiple drivers (some took care of it some didnt) most of the first 250K miles it was pulling a 24' flatbed with 5-12K on it

original injectors, cp3, rotors, everything other than listed above. :amazed:

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
i know the 04 injectors are not as prone to the failure of the 04.5's and up (or at least seem less prone to failure) but thats pretty crazy that they have held up for that long

1 - 12 of 12 Posts