Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2017 2500 that I have attempted to build into a strong, reliable tow vehicle that is as respectable as possible on a 68rfe.

I have deleted, 5" with EFI Autocal CSP switch and Transmission tuning, ARP 625s, CCV Delete, CTS2, ETL intercooler with boost tubes, Pusher Air Horn, deep transmission pan, case brace and RevMax valve body.

The truck runs good and strong, and will rip at higher RPM and 1/2 or more throttle. I would like to restore a bit of the low end grunt it used to have. I typically run on the two lower tunes, mostly on level 2. I don't want to over power things, and was looking for suggestions on the best mod to complete this.

Wicked wheel? Exhaust mainfold? Is this a spool up issue or air flow? Heater grid delete? (Id rather avoid this).

Thanks

·
Joe @ Dude’s Diesel Performance
1,201 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 2017 2500 that I have attempted to build into a strong, reliable tow vehicle that is as respectable as possible on a 68rfe.

I have deleted, 5" with EFI Autocal CSP switch and Transmission tuning, ARP 625s, CCV Delete, CTS2, ETL intercooler with boost tubes, Pusher Air Horn, deep transmission pan, case brace and RevMax valve body.

The truck runs good and strong, and will rip at higher RPM and 1/2 or more throttle. I would like to restore a bit of the low end grunt it used to have. I typically run on the two lower tunes, mostly on level 2. I don't want to over power things, and was looking for suggestions on the best mod to complete this.

Wicked wheel? Exhaust mainfold? Is this a spool up issue or air flow? Heater grid delete? (Id rather avoid this).

Thanks
Smaller quick spooling turbo or do a regear.

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
Have you turned the turbo up a bit for lower end? Most of it will be tuning and turbo spool. If you really want to enhance that low end grunt a cam will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tunes are not custom, just out of the box tunes for EFI Live. Seems like custom are getting harder and harder to come by.

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
You will have to get a custom tune to really enhance the the capabilities. EFI Live is probably at the bottom for efficacy, the MM3 and RACEME tunes are much more comprehensive and stronger.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The tunes are not custom, just out of the box tunes for EFI Live. Seems like custom are getting harder and harder to come by.
EFI live does not offer "out of the box tunes"

You will have to get a custom tune to really enhance the the capabilities. EFI Live is probably at the bottom for efficacy, the MM3 and RACEME tunes are much more comprehensive and stronger.
The tuning tool is irrelevant when you have a someone who knows what they are doing build the files. Find a competent tuner and then select the platform that they are most comfortable with

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
Except when the tool in question has less capability, at that point competency can only take it so far. There are better tools than EFI Live for tuning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I say out of the box, I mean standard tunes based on a baseline set of components, rather than individually customized for specific parts. As soon as you deviate from the components that the tunnels are based around the performance changes

·
Cummins Freak
3,307 Posts
If you have 3.42 gears then if you want low end Grunt regear to 4.10's. JMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts