Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Over 200 on the internal sensor is not really anything to worry about. 200 in the pan is a problem.
I want to stay as far away from 200 as possible. My trans shifts the best when it's cold, the hotter it gets it starts acting up. I was going to put a Mishimoto on it, but they're all back ordered until summer sometime. So I'm putting a smaller, but thicker (2in) thick Derale with no thermostat on it @ 1/2 the cost of a Mishimoto. If that doesn't handle it I'll try a Mishimoto when available.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I want to stay as far away from 200 as possible. My trans shifts the best when it's cold, the hotter it gets it starts acting up. I was going to put a Mishimoto on it, but they're all back ordered until summer sometime. So I'm putting a smaller, but thicker (2in) thick Derale with no thermostat on it @ 1/2 the cost of a Mishimoto. If that doesn't handle it I'll try a Mishimoto when available.

It’s all about where your measuring from. 200 on the internal sensor is not bad, mine would get there pretty easy. I read from the hot line out with an isspro ev2 and it’s about 10-20 cooler than the internal iirc. I don’t have the device I was using to read the internal temp sensor anymore. If your having issues like that extra coolers is likely just band-aiding the problem, there’s likely something wrong with it.

I say put a sensor on the hot line out then go from there. The internal sensor is kinda silly to read from since you do know where it’s reading from and how much heat soak is in that area. Hot out gives you the best idea of what’s happening. It reacts so fast, you can see heat output in each gear and watch it drop like a rock on lockup. Great diag tool.

·
Knowledge is key.
72 Posts
I just mounted a Derale 15870 today. I havent plumbed it in yet.
The mishi rad mount cooler does help some but my problem is stop and go.

If I can keep it around 180-190 doing that in the heat, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I'm managing to keep the pan temp @160 with just one small aux cooler with a fan, and no radiator mounted cooler. So I'm sure once I hook that up it will be good to go. I got a rad mount one that's 2in thick!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Meant to post this in 3rd gen 5.9 section. Think it would apply to 6.7 owners also.

Thought I’d throw in my 2 cents worth.

Long before I found the R&D 3rd gen post from Mishimoto, I had already added two aftermarket trans cooler. Based off of my endless searches and reading, I purchased an Derale cooler with a fan and mounted under the truck similar to what other Ram owners are doing. I had also replaced the front OEM cooler with a Derale unit also. The front cooler was roughly half the size of OEM, but I ran with it any way. During that time, I purchased and installed an Edge Insight monitor with trans temp displayed. Not knowing any better, I thought the broad temp swings from 140 with low 40 degree ambient to 212 stuck in stop-n-go traffic with low 90 ambient temps were normal. That all changed when I finally got around to installing the Mishimoto cooler. On the coolers first run, I hooked up to a 22ft car trailer with an non running F-150 strapped to it. Also, as a way to move said broke down Ford, in the bed of my truck was a 4x4 Polaris ATV. The highest trans temp I saw was 171 in stop-n-go traffic and once up to cruising speed (65 to 70ish) the trans temp was down in the low to mid 130’s. The ambient temperature that day was in the low 80’s. With the Mishimoto up front and Derale down below, my temps dropped on average 40 degrees +/-. Mishimoto did a heck of a job with this cooler and am darn glad it’s there.

·
Supporting Vendor
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Thought I’d throw in my 2 cents worth.

Long before I found the R&D 3rd gen post from Mishimoto, I had already added two aftermarket trans cooler. Based off of my endless searches and reading, I purchased an Derale cooler with a fan and mounted under the truck similar to what other Ram owners are doing. I had also replaced the front OEM cooler with a Derale unit also. The front cooler was roughly half the size of OEM, but I ran with it any way. During that time, I purchased and installed an Edge Insight monitor with trans temp displayed. Not knowing any better, I thought the broad temp swings from 140 with low 40 degree ambient to 212 stuck in stop-n-go traffic with low 90 ambient temps were normal. That all changed when I finally got around to installing the Mishimoto cooler. On the coolers first run, I hooked up to a 22ft car trailer with an non running F-150 strapped to it. Also, as a way to move said broke down Ford, in the bed of my truck was a 4x4 Polaris ATV. The highest trans temp I saw was 171 in stop-n-go traffic and once up to cruising speed (65 to 70ish) the trans temp was down in the low to mid 130’s. The ambient temperature that day was in the low 80’s. With the Mishimoto up front and Derale down below, my temps dropped on average 40 degrees +/-. Mishimoto did a heck of a job with this cooler and am darn glad it’s there.
We appreciate you taking the time to write your review!

-Justin T.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts