Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Needs a lot more than a “not” added to be legible. I re-read it and I still don’t see what your trying to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hi this Mishimoto cooler is considerably better than the stock tube cooler and its bigger, my truck gets hotter at a stoplight than before because i bypassed the block mounted plate cooler because i didn't want to have a problem with cross leakage. So Mishimoto cooler is a vast improvment over the stock front mounted cooler!!!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I would imagine under normal unloaded or ideal towing situations extra cooling wouldn’t make a lick of difference, unless the trans is on its way out. I ran a rather large extra cooler with fan under the bed of my 00’, and yea, saw almost no difference day to day. However, when things got dicey, unlocked 20mpg towing up hill in bumper to bumper traffic, the extra cooler was the difference between 250* and 210* max. Not to mention the cooler helped it cooler down faster once we picked up speed again.

I would add this stock replacement in a heartbeat if I was often in those towing conditions or was towing heavyweights. It’s on my to-but list, but lower priority right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi this Mishimoto cooler is considerably better than the stock tube cooler and its bigger, my truck gets hotter at a stoplight than before because i bypassed the block mounted plate cooler because i didn't want to have a problem with cross leakage. So Mishimoto cooler is a vast improvment over the stock front mounted cooler!!!
on another forum- Mishimoto trans cooler
they pulled the tstat in the cooler, maybe on heavy days pull it? Im not all sure on that tho.

i am hoping to get time to do the install this coming weekend.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
subscribing...

·
Registered
247 Posts
My cooler is in. I broke the tab getting the old one out.... seems okay without it... after I rebuild my shocks I plan on securing things a bit better.

Great product itll help when I'm out in the Dez for sure!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Any new feedback on this? I'm thinking if this thing works unless you're living in a very cold climate it would be best to have no thermostat? The cooler the better. But how much difference if any is it making???

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Any new feedback on this? I'm thinking if this thing works unless you're living in a very cold climate it would be best to have no thermostat? The cooler the better. But how much difference if any is it making???
Hi i have mine in for 6 months and i had problems with the thermostat so they sent me a new one and it was a very small bit better. I live in a cold cilmate and with the thermostat in when is was about 14F to 30F outside and in a 15 minute drive home from work in normal city traffic it got over 180 to 200 degrees and that thermstat is a 160 degree and not much air flow in the city with traffic lights but it should modulate and not get as hot as it was. Out on the highway is was fine around 160 to 170. I believe having the thermostat in it has to much reduced flow not enogh air flow for city driving. I have took the thermostat out and its a bit warmer outside here now 45F now and the same drive home from work its 130 to 140. I do have number 8 line right from the trans to the cooler and back, i deleted the plate cooler. I will see how it is when its gets up to 90 degress here i think it will be fine by how it works without the thermostat. Maybe someone else will chime in thats using the stat and without. I have a autometer trans gauge in the pan and also a smarty touch reading off the Transducer they are within 10 to 20 degrees of each other.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
It would be nice if it could hold the summer temps @ 170 or below then an aux cooler with a fan may or may not be needed. Thanks for your review!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
No problem Gator, i hope someone using the thermostat had better luck with it than me.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
What did you have to do to get your Smarty to read the temps? I have the same set up, one in the pan, and a Smarty Touch.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Where you read the trans temp from matters too, the internal (ecu) reads pretty hot compared to the pan. Hence why the built in trans temp warning light is something stupid high like 280. Too late IMO, but I get the logic

I like reading from the hot line out of the trans myself. Good baseline of the heat the trans is making and it responds very very fast to changes in the trans, like lockup.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
My Smarty reads about 20 deg hotter than my pan. Since my stock cooler failed with a plugged return line check valve i've been looking to improve the trans cooling and running just a dual stacked remote cooler but it's no where near able to be a standalone cooler so I'll be adding a Mishimoto with no thermostat and starting over with a fresh trans. That should keep things chilly enough when combined together.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hi 20 degrees hotter on the smarty compared to the pan gauge is about right. Yes you should be fine, i still may need to add a remote cooler with a fan because their is no room to mount a fan in front of the mishimoto trans cooler.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Did a little test today after finally wiring the fan to the thermostat. Last time I drove it with just a standalone aux cooler it got hot/over 200 deg in about 10 mins. Today I went 2x as far all in city stop and go driving with the fan connected, and 80 deg out, and it kept the temps @ or below 180* on the smarty display, and 160* in the pan. Not too horrible for having no radiator mounted cooler.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Next step is mounting a smaller 40 row Derale cooler to the radiator, and I'm betting it will handle all the hot summer 120+* heat with both coolers in use. Hopefully well below 170* even on the hotest days.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts