Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 392 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Mishimoto is starting development of a 3rd Gen 2500/3500 transmission cooler! As some of you may know, we try to be open and transparent with our engineering process and we love to hear your feedback along the way. I'll be updating this thread periodically with our progress on this project and you all will get first notice when the discounted pre-sale starts. In the meantime, feel free to check out our blog and let us know if you have any questions! I'm looking forward to sharing this project with the forums and hearing what everybody thinks.

Thanks!

-Steve

·
Registered
716 Posts
Awesome!!! I will def need one of those if they offer better cooling

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'll also be looking to get one of these...thanks.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Is it larger than the stock unit for better cooling or is it going to be a direct replacement option?

I just noticed mine is starting to weap from the top left corner so I will be in the market for a replacement very soon.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Mishimoto R&D - 3rd Gen. 5.9L / 6.7L Transmission Cooler

I'm in, need to keep this firepunk
cool

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

·
Supporting Vendor
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody! Updates will be soon!

Is it larger than the stock unit for better cooling or is it going to be a direct replacement option?

I just noticed mine is starting to weap from the top left corner so I will be in the market for a replacement very soon.
We will definitely be looking to improve on the factory design in one way or another (durability, cooling efficiency, etc.). We're still early in the R&D process so we don't know what's possible yet.

Thanks!

-Steve

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've been looking for a better transmission coolor for awhile now. I'm very interested to see what mishimoto comes up with.

Just a FYI my doorman coolor that replaced my leaking Oem coolor , doesn't not have a thermostat . Don't seem to have any problems even in winter weather. I do still have the torque converter coolor on the side of the block. So that's probably why I have no problem heating the trans up in colder temps.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
No thermostat please !!!
I've been looking for a better transmission coolor for awhile now. I'm very interested to see what mishimoto comes up with.

Just a FYI my doorman coolor that replaced my leaking Oem coolor , doesn't not have a thermostat . Don't seem to have any problems even in winter weather. I do still have the torque converter coolor on the side of the block. So that's probably why I have no problem heating the trans up in colder temps.
How often do West Virginia or Maryland see -40? Mines getting a little warmer then I'd like to see in the summer, but I still need mine for winter and I think these 48's still need a bypass in colder climates. Where I'm at, weather probably similar to Minnesota. So my vote would be to retain the thermostat. Is the thermostat a common failure?

·
Registered
325 Posts
The thermostats are known to stick. When they do fluid is in bypass all the time pretty much making the cooler useless. They can be removed and cleaned but a lot of people just flip the plunger and spring, to bypass the bypass.

I have ran my truck like this for 8 yrs now in northern IL with no problems at all.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
Mishimoto R&D - 3rd Gen. 5.9L / 6.7L Transmission Cooler

How often do West Virginia or Maryland see -40? Mines getting a little warmer then I'd like to see in the summer, but I still need mine for winter and I think these 48's still need a bypass in colder climates. Where I'm at, weather probably similar to Minnesota. So my vote would be to retain the thermostat. Is the thermostat a common failure?

It's probably been -20s here in the northern part of the state. But I'm in the warmer part. Last winter was very mild . I know it's not -40 but A few years ago, I was in the bruceton mills area helping my brother in-law and sister move into their new house. It got down to -5. -20 with the windchill my transmission had no problem once the engine started to warm up, Towing a 24 foot enclosed trailer.

Just a FYI coldest it's been in West Virginia was -37 back in 1917 .

And in Maryland it got -40 back in 1912

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Is this a common request? If so, I'll pass that on to the engineer!

Thanks,

-Steve

Steve,

This has been long awaited! I have been here as well as sending requests to you guys for some while! Glad to see it paid off and the development has started!

For starters and from what I see and what most everyone will agree with me on, is the thermostat mentioned. It constantly gives us trouble. It clogs, sticks, only opens once the fluid hits 150F (which would be *okay* if it actually went to full fluid flow through the cooler once it hit 150 WHICH IT ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT DO!!!) and generally is just a generic cheesy ready to leave you stranded P.O.S.

I have spent a lot of time looking at these trucks and thinking about what could be done with these coolers. And I know your R&D department will handle it well, but I will give some insights right here.

1) The thermostat needs to be gone. The heat exchanger will heat the fluid in cooler weather if need be.
2) We need a stacked plate cooler. Now I havent gotten down and dirty wtih how all that would work exactly, but I know your 6.0L PSD tranny cooler is stacked plate and is a good design. Actually your 6.0 PSD cooler is damn near a bolt in on our trucks. Maybe start with that??
3) More than likely the goofy stock line locations will have to be used from the perspective of mishimoto and the bolt on style parts that they offer. But, again, your R&D department will figure that out better than I.
4) There is more space to go in just about every single direction. The stock thing is so papery, its really a CRIME what dodge sold us.
5) Make it actually work. Apparently the stock one is fine if you cut the thermostat loop off it and weld it shut, but I havent gotten to that point on my truck yet.

Glad to see this coming along! This is long awaited, and you should expect to sell out, once the word gets out!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
But just because the factory Dodge thermostat fails doesn't mean the Mishimoto comparable will. The factory cooler is also known to leak. I'm guessing the Mishimoto's will be less likely to have that problem. And heating oil to cool it again isn't as good as heating it and returning it to the transmission.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
But just because the factory Dodge thermostat fails doesn't mean the Mishimoto comparable will. The factory cooler is also known to leak. I'm guessing the Mishimoto's will be less likely to have that problem. And heating oil to cool it again isn't as good as heating it and returning it to the transmission.
There is not another truck on the market today that has a thermostat in the transmission oil cooler. Transmissions don't fail because they are too cold, and ATFs viscosity is relatively unaffected by temperature when compared to other oils. I'm hoping they get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
There is not another truck on the market today that has a thermostat in the transmission oil cooler. Transmissions don't fail because they are too cold, and ATFs viscosity is relatively unaffected by temperature when compared to other oils. I'm hoping they get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Maybe a setup similar to stock where it can be flipped over in warm climates? Here if we change to a cooler without, the transmission won't shift to OD.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
The transmission wont shift into OD until trans oil temp comes up, my 03 allows the OD shift at 60F oil temp.

Should be using a winter front when its that cold so it doesn't take long to get to 60F.

1 - 20 of 392 Posts