Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 01 cummins with 350k. It had a lot of oil sludge and build up on the engine and in the bay. I wanted to wash it so I covered all the electrical plugs and the ecm with tinfoil. I disconnected the batteries and then sprayed simple green on the engine and pan and everything. Then I power washed the whole thing with a fan stream. This was to distribute the pressure and not damage anything. The water in fuel light came on. Fully expected that. Just waited till everything dried out. Then I test drove it. It lagged bad and lost power. So I parked it and drained two gallons of diesel from the filter and put in some additive to deal with potential water in fuel. I drove it again. Shut it off. Then the fuel pump was running even with the key out and everything off. I checked all the fuses and everything was good. The pump ran even when I pulled the fuses. So that freaked me out. I believe that’s an ecm issue. So I reset the batteries. Idled it for about 10 minutes. Then light power brake takeoff to force fuel through everything. The pump issue went away and everything seemed to run smoothly but it might of had a small lag issue. Couldn’t notice it much but maybe. Went to drive this morning. It seemed fine until I accelerated onto the interstate and it lagged a little. I got about 6 miles and it seemed to get worse if anything but still driveable. Took the backroad home to go slow. Stayed about constant condition. It does seem that it might be misfiring when at idle but hard to notice. The smoke from the exhaust isn’t consistent now. You can see the break in stream when it is misfiring. Im not sure if the ecm is bad now. Or the fuel system doesn’t have the pressure because a pump went out. Or the injector wiring is ed now. Or I just straight up killed an injector. Or potentially the throttle position sensor. Maybe something else entirely.

I put a code reader on it and there are not codes and the reader says no misfires. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
No way you got water in the fuel system. Electronics more likely. Either the CM, VP or something else. Don't know if it is temporary or you did some damage. See if you get a 20+ second run of the lift pump when you bump the starter. And check fuel pressure when running?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Could be you have water in the JTEC / PCM.
Pull it and let everything dry.
Every time I've had the engine cleaned (by me or someone else) something else happens.
I think the truck is like the jeep... leave the dirt where it lands.
- Kathy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts