Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I own a 2005 3500 SB SRW, my friend Red owns a 2006 3500 LB SRW. We both agree that the mirrors on these trucks suck in terms of field of view. We both also have broken the folding mechanisms which results in wind blowing them into a folded position the faster we drive.

What are good replacement options? Aftermarket? I’ve also heard the 4th gen mirrors fit the 3rd gen and offer a better field of view? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I picked these up like a month ago or so, have really liked them. 4th gen style, think you can also get them with the turn signals if you really want that. I can definitely confirm 4th gen style mirrors have a much better field of view. It's almost a shock to get used to at first because you can see so much more.

My old stock passenger mirror would vibrate at idle, these don't. So far anyway. Also I did have to reuse 1 stock stud per side like the reviews mentioned. Wasn't a big deal to swap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1X3GHO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked these up like a month ago or so, have really liked them. 4th gen style, think you can also get them with the turn signals if you really want that. I can definitely confirm 4th gen style mirrors have a much better field of view. It's almost a shock to get used to at first because you can see so much more.

My old stock passenger mirror would vibrate at idle, these don't. So far anyway. Also I did have to reuse 1 stock stud per side like the reviews mentioned. Wasn't a big deal to swap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1X3GHO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Awesome...they bolt right up?

·
Registered
520 Posts
myself and several others have done the 14 chevy mirror swap. I don't care what you find for these trucks. The chevy mirrors are a HUGE improvement!! there are others out there but I have zero regrets doing the swap. The blind spot mirrors are soooo much better. I can park backing up a lot easier with them and changing lanes is less scary.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
myself and several others have done the 14 chevy mirror swap. I don't care what you find for these trucks. The chevy mirrors are a HUGE improvement!! there are others out there but I have zero regrets doing the swap. The blind spot mirrors are soooo much better. I can park backing up a lot easier with them and changing lanes is less scary.

My buddy Red and I can’t see a dang thing backing up. Not many street lights on our island. We are both firefighters and end up going down really ty driveways. Hence why our mirrors are broken.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Awesome...they bolt right up?

Yeah, they are 4th gen style made for the 3rd gens.

My buddy Red and I can’t see a dang thing backing up. Not many street lights on our island. We are both firefighters and end up going down really ty driveways. Hence why our mirrors are broken.

Sounds to me like you need to do some flush mount LED lights in the bumper. I did those and even with 5% tint I can see to backup now very easily. I put mine on a switch though so I could control when I use them. No need in a bright city or have them come on during the day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve upgraded to the gen 4 mirrors and I’m still not completely happy. I’ve been spoiled by my work truck, 2011 Ford F-250 PowerStroke. Say what you want about Ford’s but the mirrors are really good. We also have a 16 GMC 2500 Duramax. The mirrors are a close 2nd place. And are both by far better than Ram mirrors.

My question is about the 14 Chevy Mirrors swap. Do they bolt up and you have to splice the wiring for the power movement and defrost, etc.? What all do you need to do for the swap? Also is it just the 2014 model year? I did a quick search on Amazon and it showed some odd model years. Some said 07 to 13 and some said 07 to 14. Other said 14 to 18. Any info you can provide will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Reactions: rc_cola_j

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I went with TYC mirrors and am completely happy with them. They are MUCH more stable than the stock mirrors since they don't flip out. The heat and power function works great.
Those don't look like they'd have very good coverage for our trucks...less surface area and closer to the body?:confused013:
My OEM flip outs didn't vibrate or anything at all. They just had horrible blind spot and reverse coverage.
If you go aftermarket (OEM) style they tend to vibrate with the RPMs. There are def better options out there now for 3rd gen trucks depending the effort you want to put in.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Those don't look like they'd have very good coverage for our trucks...less surface area and closer to the body?:confused013:
My OEM flip outs didn't vibrate or anything at all. They just had horrible blind spot and reverse coverage.
If you go aftermarket (OEM) style they tend to vibrate with the RPMs. There are def better options out there now for 3rd gen trucks depending the effort you want to put in.
I guess it boils down to personal preference and technique. If I'm going to tow something huge and visually obstructing I'll get some 1500 series clip on extenders.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Snap-Zap-Clip-on-Towing-Mirror-Set-for-2002-2008-Dodge-Ram-1500-2003-2009-2500-3500-80700/304782468

I like to have my cake and eat it too. With a clip on set of mirrors I get the advantage of the tow mirror extension when I need it. Without the raging hemorrhoid that is the factory mirror setup.
(There are a lot of residential gates that only give you like 4" of clearance past the factory mirrors)

As for coverage, I would put to you that it's perfectly acceptable. Seeing as they are same mirrors put on the Dodge 1500 series full size pickup. (same body style as our 2500s) If you can't see what you need to, when not towing.... Well then you're doing something wrong.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a set of the 1A Auto 4th Gen Glass for 3rd Gen on my 03, absolutely love them. Power folding in and out as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a set of the 1A Auto 4th Gen Glass for 3rd Gen on my 03, absolutely love them. Power folding in and out as well.
Ohhh, now that's something. Power folding would address most of my angst with the stock tow mirrors. How you they work? I mean, do you think that feature works well? Or are you concerned about its reliability?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I guess it boils down to personal preference and technique. If I'm going to tow something huge and visually obstructing I'll get some 1500 series clip on extenders.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Snap-Zap-Clip-on-Towing-Mirror-Set-for-2002-2008-Dodge-Ram-1500-2003-2009-2500-3500-80700/304782468

I like to have my cake and eat it too. With a clip on set of mirrors I get the advantage of the tow mirror extension when I need it. Without the raging hemorrhoid that is the factory mirror setup.
(There are a lot of residential gates that only give you like 4" of clearance past the factory mirrors)

As for coverage, I would put to you that it's perfectly acceptable. Seeing as they are same mirrors put on the Dodge 1500 series full size pickup. (same body style as our 2500s) If you can't see what you need to, when not towing.... Well then you're doing something wrong.
Yup, clip on's are definitely not my jam. One extra thing to lug around. I never thought factory mirrors look all that bad in the first place. Just the OEM ones have too many blind spots which really inhibits seeing if you drive in traffic. I had a buddy with a 3rd gen 1500 and IMO, those are worse off than the HD setups. Which made it even sketchier in traffic. To each their own. As long as it ensures others' safety. I swapped mine due to poor visibility when driving and in parkinglots around other cars (I back into all spots) so for me it made sense to ditch Dodge OEM all together and fab something that was superior.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ohhh, now that's something. Power folding would address most of my angst with the stock tow mirrors. How you they work? I mean, do you think that feature works well? Or are you concerned about its reliability?
Yeah, it's nice to have them be able to fold in when I park.

They've worked well, and come with a limited lifetime warranty, so if you do need it replaced, they can be. I've only had to replace one set in 5 years of ownership. I can definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the 3rd gen write-up for the Chevy mirrors:

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-non-powertrain/2247314-14-17-chevy-mirrors-my-06-mega-20.html

You'll likely need this Photosukit extension fix for chrome (it should make the photos not blurry since Photoit held them hostage again):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en

I have a 2005 3500

Will 2003-2007 mirrors work for this? There is a neighbour selling a set for $100.

Or is it just the 2014-2017 that will work on a 3rd gen?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have a 2005 3500

Will 2003-2007 mirrors work for this? There is a neighbour selling a set for $100.

Or is it just the 2014-2017 that will work on a 3rd gen?

The ones mentioned in this thread, the base profile fits the 3rd gen trucks almost perfectly. I'm talking about the outer profile of the bracket and plastic base valence. I couldn't tell you about the 2003-2007. Grab your neighbors and put them next to your mirrors and compare the base. Also, the wiring might be different.

Reactions: rc_cola_j

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Your best bet if Ram towing mirrors give you angst is counseling....

Reactions: MDSWA

·
Registered
207 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts