Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to have their mini maxx repaired because HDMI port broke loose from motherboard?

This happened to mine and am trying to find a techy that can physically repair these tiny connections.

BTW if you are using a suction cup mount for your mini maxx, I'd look into getting a pillar or overhead mount to reduce vibrations.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hdmi port

S-bend didn't save mine.

The guy working on it says that H&S surface mounted a 90 degree hdmi port directly to the mother board. So, the only support the hdmi input has is from the tiny (tiny!) soldered pins directly to mother board. Stupid design and it will fail eventually. Mine lasted 3 years on suction cup mount that they sent me with an S bend.

About a 50/50 chance it will ever work again. And as you know H&S shut down and is offering NO customer support.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My hdmi port on a XRT Pro failed. Barely used it. Was out of warranty and cost me $350 for a replacement from H&S as they could not repair it. Was actually originally quoted $500 for a replacement but they took a little off.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
XRT PRO's often fail at the HDMI because people leave the cable plugged in when they put the tuner back in the case.

Or they don't put them back in the case at all and leave the cable plugged in.

It's rare that the connection fails on Mini Maxxes, but I have seen a few damaged or broken there due to vibration.

I've had mine in my truck for over 100k miles w/ no problem, but most of my driving is highway driving, not rough roads.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hdmi

I've taken this tuner to 3 different computer repair places and have got the same reaction from all 3 places. "what were they thinking?" And then, "you are screwed". That's abbreviated but basically accurate.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
so does that mean once this brakes with h&s gone we are all screwed and forced to buy a new old stock or used one from here for way more than what we paid for them originally????

·
Registered
123 Posts
so does that mean once this brakes with h&s gone we are all screwed and forced to buy a new old stock or used one from here for way more than what we paid for them originally????
Probably..or switch brand

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've taken this tuner to 3 different computer repair places and have got the same reaction from all 3 places. "what were they thinking?" And then, "you are screwed". That's abbreviated but basically accurate.
racnruss can you post a picture of the carnage? Curious to see how bad it is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
picture

snintc,

Have a picture on my phone unsure how to upload here. can send if you want to your phone.

BTW, had a computer guy that was confident he could fix the motherboard. He "fixed" it and yesterday I plugged it into my truck. Now truck cranks but will not start at all.:doh:

With or without mini maxx it is dead in the water. I am lost and disgusted. Mad at myself for ever messing with the truck.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It should still run wo the mini plugged in. It will just revert back to a stockish tune. (Eventually)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Actually it's whatever you have in the stock position of your mini. If you have MCC it could still be anything.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Let me know if you get it reflashed like we discussed.

The more and more I think about it, I don't like how you were able to reprogram but not at the same time. Starting to make me think its locked up...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Any pictures of the broken HDMI and circuit board?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Didn't want to make a new thread..

Has anyone taken a screen from another unit (even a bully dog for example) and put it into a mini maxx?

Mine got some water damage and the screen is messed up. It still works fine other than that..

I see a guy locally selling a bully dog gt for $100 so I'm thinking of picking that up and trying to swap the touch screen?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts