Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum here, but I have been reading all can find in the "search" section. I just bought an '06 2500 CTD 4x4 48RE quad-cab, short bed with 285/70-17 BFG ATs. My computer readout for fuel mileage says i'm averaging around 22 mpg unloaded (which seems to be on par with what others said it should get). However, when I check the trip odometer that i set at my last fill up for how many miles i have gone on the fuel used i'm nowhere close to 22 mpg. I might be around 16 or 17. Which of these two computer readouts is lying to me - the trip odometer or the fuel mileage estimator? Any help would be appreciated, here. Thanks.:confused013:

·
Registered
26 Posts
hahaha NEVER believe the readout from the overhead, its a bunch of bs:thumbsup:

hand calculate using the trip and the gallons used to fill the tank

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured that it was probably the computer's mileage estimator that was giving the false readings, but i never would have thought it would be that far off! If they can't make it get any closer than 6-7 mpg difference then why put that on truck at all??? A sixth grader without a calculator could estimate better than that! LOL

·
SNAFU
3,369 Posts
yup its bs, I can run along and have it say 24-26 mpg when Im getting about 17. Its just false hope, sorry bud. But it does seem like the longer you drive it without resetting it the closer it gets to the average milage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh well... i didn't buy a 7000-lb truck because sips fuel. If i can get 17 out of this thing it will still be better than what i got out of the last ride running a mandatory 93 octane. Land Rover can suck it for their newer vehicles!

·
Hide your cats!
5,106 Posts
yea its one of those make you feel good gauges, kinda when a wind ding ding car adds another sticker and says why isnt it faster

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What sort of realistic fuel mileage should/could i get, here, with this setup? And, where were some of these people getting some of their numbers that i've seen with almost the same setup as mine with 3.73s and 35s getting 17 city and 22 highway unloaded? These folks were claiming THESE numbers as "realistic/real-world" numbers. Is that really possible, or were they just reading straight off the truck readout, too, most likely?

·
Diesel Junkie
9,209 Posts
also your bigger tires will be throwing off the odometer aswell.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, i realize that the larger-than-stock tires will throw stock calibrations for distance and mileage off as they are based on axle revolutions and the circumference of the factory diameter tire, but we're only talking a difference of approximately 5.3% in circumference. That's only about 1 mpg difference - all other things remaining constant. 6 to 7 mpg off is just ridiculous.:hehe:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts