Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did the DPF, EGR, and cooler deletes. XRT Pro on the mild tune. First run was from Miami to St Pete with some headwind from a front. 258 miles all highway 77mph and I still only got 15.5 mpg. Does it take a while for the mpg's to come up? Truck is an 08 4X4 four door longbed dually. It does now have a LOT more power even though its just on the mild tune.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have been my biggest MPG gains on the 120 or 175 tunes. Find out which ones your truck likes. Plus H&S has custom tunes to download. Each truck is a little different and you have to find which one your's likes. Good luck to ya

·
Registered
458 Posts
I haven't done the deletes yet. I think if you slowed down to around 65-70 MPH you may get much better though. What RPM were you running at?

Reactions: mikeshauling

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The higher tunes give higher mileage and yes you will hear timing rattle and are you running stock tire size or big meats?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything is stock. I am only looking for MPG and keeping the engine clean. I have a stock auto so don't want to turn the power up too much. I tow a 14.5K toyhauler when we go camping and do not want to keep downloading different tunes. Gotta keep the trans alive. The mild tune adds a lot of power as it is.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I didn't see any big mileage gains on mine until I replaced the entire air system. When the intercooler went in the mileage jumped like 4 mpg. Before that I didn't see much. I think 1 or 2 when I did my deletes and put the intake and cai on.

Intercooler was the last piece I put on the air system. So I'm not by any means saying an intercooler alone will get you that kind of increase.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Mine idles about 30min each morning right now because its so dang cold so I have no idea what my new MPG's are since I did the deletes. I know it runs a lot better and before I did them I was getting p2262 like every week. Now I haven't had it since.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Filling out your signature would help a lot. On my 2500 auto lb srw I get 17-18 hwy but it's got the tall gearing in it. And when I'm on the hwy I go 5 over which out here is 80mph. I spin just under 2k rpm at that speed.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Filling out your signature would help a lot. On my 2500 auto lb srw I get 17-18 hwy but it's got the tall gearing in it. And when I'm on the hwy I go 5 over which out here is 80mph. I spin just under 2k rpm at that speed.
Same here! 80mph is about 1850 rpms for me and average 18mpg. Best I have seen straight Hwy is about 21mpg.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
If I can keep it around 70-75 I get right at 20 mpg (the over head reads 23). If I go too much faster (around 80) it drops to 19 mpg. This is with stock size tires and 3.73's.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will see how it does over a few trips. Power sure is fun so I will be driving a lot. Thanks all.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think you're doing OK for a dually. I get 14+ usmpg deleted, with a 3" lift and 35's at 75 mph, but have yet to test an all highway tankfull.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
same here, I have a 08 4x4 dually megacab and running empty about 75-78 I get right 15, my best ever is 16.1. I have all the deletes. I think some people aren't good at their math, some people just read their lieometer and some people's trucks just really like the package and work great. Remember too, a dually will lose about 1-2 mpg right off the bat and some of these dudes are 2x4s so that helps alot too. I heard about taking the baffle out of the stock intake might help, I am going to try that next.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
same here, I have a 08 4x4 dually megacab and running empty about 75-78 I get right 15, my best ever is 16.1. I have all the deletes. I think some people aren't good at their math, some people just read their lieometer and some people's trucks just really like the package and work great. Remember too, a dually will lose about 1-2 mpg right off the bat and some of these dudes are 2x4s so that helps alot too. I heard about taking the baffle out of the stock intake might help, I am going to try that next.
I do brag about the numbers in my sig.It seems my truck really likes my package,that said I am a 2wd and the roads are flat everywhere I go.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have all the goodies in my signature and have a best of 20.3 on summer fuel and 65MPH. Everyone should have heard me hollar when I did the math. Probably average 17.5 most of the time.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My overhead read 25.8 on a trip to Dallas last weekend. I did 50 miles on 120 and got 21 then loaded the 175 with att and it jumped up. I also noticed mine gets 1 MPG better with the e brake on
Give it a shot. I go 70-75.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
yeah, I trust that overhead as far as I could throw my truck. I can turn up my mp8 and it says I get 20.5mpg when you hand calculate it is 14-15. That thing is junk.

·
Registered
56 Posts
21.0 best hand calculated trip from Canton Georgia to Elkhart Indiana! This was cruising 70mph and babying it all the way. Once we picked up the 5th wheel we were buying the mileage dropped to 11.0mpg on the return trip once again doing 70mph while towing which I know kills mileage. Does 2wd vs 4wd make a difference?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sometimes I wonder that myself. I have yet to see the numbers that some guys are coming up with. I'm right around where you are 15-16.5. Idling time and short trips seem to kill mine

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah 2wd or a 4x4 does make a big diff especially on dodge's and chevy's because they do not have the same lockout setup as a ford.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts