Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 4x4 Big Horn 2500 with a 5.9. I've got 71500 miles on it and I'm hearing a mild knocking/popping sound from the front end somewhere when rolling forward at slow speed over smooth surface. It happens on and off, it's not a steady rythmic sound. Thought it might be a suspension issue but hearing it while rolling slow on smooth surface leads me to think differently. I've replaced hub bearings recently thinking that would fix but had no effect. Need some advice here. Could it be an axle shaft or u-joint issue? Any feedback appreciated.

·
Gone Fishin'
566 Posts
i would check the u-joints and track bar first

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,419 Posts
:agree2: Most likely Axel U-Joints... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
agreed or ball joints or trackbar prolly u joints though oh and when you pull them off grease your hubs! pull out the abs sensor in the hubs and shoot grease into the bearings!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Swaybar end links will make a racket at slow speeds when they wear out. They are relatively easy and cheap to fix.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Read a post the other day that was the same problem. And one member found the the rear u-joint had worn through the cup and into the driveshaft. Block the front end put it in N have the rear end in the air with no load on the driveline and check the shaft out. Then do it for the front one to. But all other posts will give the same problem as you stated. Set some time aside and check your truck out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found out truck needed upper ball joints, and also went ahead and replaced/upgraded tie rods (still had stock) and went to a 2 shock stabilizer system. All is well. Until next time!...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts