Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m hoping to get some insight from the folks running the same setup but all knowledge is appreciated.

My truck started out as a 1990 D250 with 5.9 Cummins and a 727 torqueflite 3 speed auto.
currently has been swapped to a 1992 IC motor, and a second gen IC with banks single ram intake. Pump has a 3200 gov spring and a Denny stage 2 fuel pin with some pump timing

im now running a zf6-s650 manual with a modified hx35(63/67/12) accompanied by some comp 370 injectors, flow honed by THD.

I made these upgrades in hopes to awaken the truck a lot more and she’s still kind of a slug, very Smokey down low all the way until turbo spools (18-23PSI max), I haven’t ran a boost leak kit yet which I’m hoping is the root of my issues… buuuuut I’d like some feed back of some other things to check out and what kind of HP and TQ are y’all seeing, what PSI are you getting out of your modded HX’s

·
Super Moderator
22,516 Posts
So I’m hoping to get some insight from the folks running the same setup but all knowledge is appreciated.

My truck started out as a 1990 D250 with 5.9 Cummins and a 727 torqueflite 3 speed auto.
currently has been swapped to a 1992 IC motor, and a second gen IC with banks single ram intake. Pump has a 3200 gov spring and a Denny stage 2 fuel pin with some pump timing

im now running a zf6-s650 manual with a modified hx35(63/67/12) accompanied by some comp 370 injectors, flow honed by THD.

I made these upgrades in hopes to awaken the truck a lot more and she’s still kind of a slug, very Smokey down low all the way until turbo spools (18-23PSI max), I haven’t ran a boost leak kit yet which I’m hoping is the root of my issues… buuuuut I’d like some feed back of some other things to check out and what kind of HP and TQ are y’all seeing, what PSI are you getting out of your modded HX’s

Since you already bought from THD just give Eric a call he is very knowledgeable on the 1st Gens. But my guess it will be the injectors your using.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you already bought from THD just give Eric a call he is very knowledgeable on the 1st Gens. But my guess it will be the injectors your using.
I would however there is no way that’s too much injector for the turbo,people run bigger injectors on the same turbo and are 700rw capable

·
Registered
840 Posts
700rwhp on 63/67mm that would REALLY be pushing it. I rarely see numbers like that from the 67mm wheel compressors.

The Denny T pins are known to be smokey and depending on your pump settings your low boost fuelling may be out of wack. Have you tried playing with the smoke screw and star wheel?

How are your egts? Does the smoke clear up under boost? The marine 370's are not known for their clean burning traits. Esp if your spray angles are out of wack.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
700rwhp on 63/67mm that would REALLY be pushing it. I rarely see numbers like that from the 67mm wheel compressors.

The Denny T pins are known to be smokey and depending on your pump settings your low boost fuelling may be out of wack. Have you tried playing with the smoke screw and star wheel?

How are your egts? Does the smoke clear up under boost? The marine 370's are not known for their clean burning traits. Esp if your spray angles are out of wack.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Not going against your word on pushing it but was seeing 850 and that was a “hold your testicals” kinda thing.
non the less egts didn’t really change when injectors and turbo were installed. Smoke does clear up in boost, but usually smoke on the low end (in the correct forward gear)is boost leak. I did replace intake manifold gaskets and re torqued the bolts which helped gain another 8psi, I double checked all the clamps between turbo and intake and IC all seem to have not leaked, next guess would be compressor housing but I’d have to make a little kit or buy one.

will be installing THD fuel pin and gov spring since I’m going strictly off of previous owners words as for as those two go, timing bump and start crew adjustments I’ve made cleaned it up a lot but still pretty gnarly and again only seeing 23psi max

1 - 5 of 5 Posts