Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving home yesterday and about 1 mile from my house the MIL light went on.

I did the key-cycle trick and the odometer went ------ then went to -DoNe- WTH???

Thanks in advance and no clue if this has anything to do with but I just added Smarty Jr about 2500 miles ago. Truck has 52k miles total.

Greg

·
Wastin Money...
339 Posts
Did the MIL go off?

·
Wastin Money...
339 Posts
Can you not check codes with your Smarty? Once I had a MIL mysteriously come on then off the next time I cranked the truck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the MIL go off?
Can you not check codes with your Smarty? Once I had a MIL mysteriously come on then off the next time I cranked the truck.
I have tried the key-trick multiple times and no change... truck seems to drive fine but I don't like that MIL light.

Also, it blinks after it reads the -dOnE- code and then goes on for good.

I will play with the Smarty programmer now but not how I wanted to spend a beautiful Socal Sunday afternoon.

Thanks and if anyone is familiar keep the suggestions coming!!

·
Wastin Money...
339 Posts
Maybe it is a soft-code, possibly for the CCV filter? Ive been lucky with mine and only had the MIL come on once or twice for something small.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe it is a soft-code, possibly for the CCV filter? Ive been lucky with mine and only had the MIL come on once or twice for something small.
So frustrating that there is sooo much crap on all the new cars to fight 'mythical' environmental problems...

I keep trying the key trick and can't get a code, just -dOnE- and then the odometer reading.

·
Wastin Money...
339 Posts
I understand about the nonexistent problems, but you can either go to a autoparts store or use your smarty to pull the code. Other than that I cannot help nor can anyone else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, good call to plug in the Smarty Jr!

I got 2 codes; P242F and P1451... both are DPF issues. I wish I didn't live in the Fascist controlled state of Cali and be subject to smog checks

·
Wastin Money...
339 Posts
That sucks man, but glad you found the codes, what are they saying the problem is?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yeah cycling the key can be tricky. I always forget if it's 3 times or 4 times and I usually mess up when I do it and have the do it again. There will be dashes in between the codes that it shows and then say DonE when it done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found another guy on Cummins who had the same codes thrown on his and he just ran some Diesel Kleen and a fresh tank of fuel and said they went away... Hoping it was just that, a dirty tank of fuel-

I'll update later today and thanks again for the help/concern too!

·
Wastin Money...
339 Posts
Its no problem man, thats what the forum is here for :thumbsup:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Dodge did a flash in about April of 2009 which nuked almost all emission related code reading from the odometer. I'm guessing because people could check and see how many emission related problems they were having and were suing them.

·
Registered
812 Posts
When you pulled those codes, does it say if they were active or stored? I don't how the Smarty works, but the guy at my local Auto Zone can somehow make the scan tool show whether its an active, set, or stored coded. Both him and the service manager at a nearby dealer explained the difference between the conditions, and i don't remember the logic behind it. I think active codes will display in the dash, but if set, and it clears, it won't display but the CEL will stay on until x amount of start cycles on the truck (maybe set?), then go to 'stored mode' after CEL light goes out (if it the condition(s) that set it in the first place don't appear again). I think that's how it was explained to me, but can't remember 100%. The Edge Insight i used to have could pull a code from history.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Ok, good call to plug in the Smarty Jr!

I got 2 codes; P242F and P1451... both are DPF issues. I wish I didn't live in the Fascist controlled state of Cali and be subject to smog checks
this is NO excuse!!! I live in Nevada and have to have smogs done every year. Takes me about 2 hours start to finish to put the truck to stock and get the smog done! About 1.5 to put it back!! Well worth the 3.5 hours once a year.

Get the stuff do the deletes and put it back when you need to!

Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts