Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody runnin these? and if you are tell me your likes and dislikes plus how much did it affect your mileage?

if i get them im goin with 31X10.50 R15
their goin on my 93 1500

im runnin michelins the same size on there now.

and let me know what brands you like and dont like....i aint for sure on the mickey thompsons yet......prolly get new ones at the end of summer to the beginning of winter.....just seein what everybody thinks...

thanks yall

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i dunno but i can say that on a 1/2 ton the toyo m/ts will be the best choice and last way longer then the mickeys

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried lookin at the toyos but their page aint workin.......keep the suggestions comin

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I run the Baja Claw Radial 33x12.50 on my Cherokee. LOVE EM!!! They are an excellent off road tire. I've got about 10,000 miles on mine and they are half gone already. BUT...... My jeep has a spooled rear end and a locker up front. So it's EXTREMELY hard on tires as my daily driver. But overall, I highly recommend them! But bacause they don't have tread siping like a more "street friendly" tire does, they will wear faster than other off road tires.

IMHO.......If you're only running a 31" tire, don't waste your money on an expensive off road tire. Stick to a all terrain. Most vehicles with a 31" tire cannont be considered a "real" off roader. And therefore don't justify the need of a high dollar tire. They wear faster, are louder, and don't ride as nice. Trust me, I speak from experience. I love the look of a nice mudder, but, when you face the facts, and add up the street time compared to the off road time, the street time will always win. You'd be much better off with a good AT tire like a BFG AT, or a Pro Comp AT or something along that lines.

Just my .02......................

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive tried all terrains and they dont giv me enough traction out in the fields with a trailer on the back.......so their out....and im in the fields about 40% of the time...i ned a 4X4 but dont have the $$$$ right now so im stuck in the 2 wheel drive

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ran mt baja clawz 33 12.50 16 and got about 48 thou out of them but that includes racing and pulling and bogging and I aint easy on the tires , and the weight of the diesel is killer on any tire.Just make sure you rotate every 5000 km and you will get good milage

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
If you're putin them on a 2wd, I'd go with more like a Buckshot or BFG MT, Cooper STT, or something along that lines. The directional Baja I don't think will work well for you cause you won't be able to rotate them. At least with a regular Mud Terrain, you'll be able to swap sides and that will help them wear better than not rotating at all.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i found they were pretty horrible in the winter on my 94 but they last pretty well and are pretty good in the mud. there are deffinatley better tires out there for the snow. i like the cooper discoverer stt's thought i have never used them personally, but they will be what i buy next

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I love mine in the snow! But like I said, My jeep has a spooled rear and a locked front, so being a "true" 4wd, it'll pretty much go anywhere I need it to go. But I could see where the tread pattern wouldn't be very good in the winter on a normal truck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if nothin else ill go get them broke down and changed to rotate them.....looked at the buckshots and the coopers.....not too sure on them....but the buckshots are under consideration too.....

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had baja claws on my 98 Dakota, and they sucked! They wore down so fast I didnt even get to rotate them three times before they wouldnt pass inspection. Winter time seemed fine, but the summer heat tore those things up BAD!!!!!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I had them on my 04 Z71 (sold). They were pretty bad. They look great but wear, ride, and sound horrible. I only used them on road though. If you're off road almost half the time you'd probably have much better results with them.

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
baja mtz

i had some mtz's on my wrangler and they are wearin down pretty bad in the back. the front is fine but they only got 7000 miles on em and i can see signs of wear. maybe i just need to stop the spinnin back tires:lol3::peelout:lol3:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cody..

..my step dad has them on his wrangler and I think they are a very rough riding tire and they are wearing out way too fast!

A tire that no one has said anything about and I ran them on 00 quad Dak is the 33x12.5ox15 Dunlop Mud Rovers, the dang tires were awesome! I could go anywhere with those in 2wheel drive! Just get'em spinning and the mud would sling all over the place. It was fun when people were behind you! The only thing is I don't know how long they will last, because I sold the Dak about 6 months after I got them, but they still looked awesome at that time. And they were cheap. I wish I could run them on my diesel.

:peelout

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hearin too many things negative bout the mickey thompsons.....think their eliminated.....i like the buckshots and the BFG mud terrain T/A KM and the dunlop mud rovers dont look too bad.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what yall think of the pro comp mud terrain M/T and the pro comp extreme M/T

·
Future Fly Boy!
2,197 Posts
I love mine in the snow! But like I said, My jeep has a spooled rear and a locked front, so being a "true" 4wd, it'll pretty much go anywhere I need it to go. But I could see where the tread pattern wouldn't be very good in the winter on a normal truck.
i bet that locked front and spooled rear sucked a$$ in the ice:hyper:

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Yup! NOBODY but ME drives that thing in the winter. It's a handfull in just a dusting of snow. The rear wheels always spinning together want to push it all over the road in 2wd. Put it in 4wd and it would go ANYWHERE! Damn snow was up to the grill, and if you just keep the tires spinning real slow, they would just claw their way through. Even with the snow dragging on the under carriage. Spin 'em fast and you'd sink it and be S.O.L.!!!

·
Future Fly Boy!
2,197 Posts
i feel ya...those rockers and the locker were flat out scary in the ice...a nice layer of snow was nice but ice...wow, it was fun!:beer

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Cody, I would strongly reccomend the Cooper STT, I have the ST on my Bronco and had them on my F-150 (sold) They did great off road. The STT is even more agressive than the ST. The last couple of sets of Coopers I have had gobs of tread left at 50,000 mi. I will eventually put them on this truck too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts